Milk Road controversy poll

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.

Do you support Jer and his work on Milk Road?

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 44

jefffski

Milk Road controversy poll

Post by jefffski » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Do you support Jer in his situation with Body, smith , McLane et al?

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Keep those Yea's coming! Jer needs all our support. Let's get to 100.

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:55 am

How does this advance the debate about climber behaviours (e.g. cleaning), and management of the Chief? Don't we all support a resolution that is reasonable, and consistent with the interests of the climbing community?

FWIW, I support all climbers, and anything reasonable they might do.

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Well, it shows that 32 of the people who've voted are in favour and none against.

Statistically relevant? Who knows. How many squamish climbers post here? But when 100% of the voters are in favour, with (so far) 33 votes and none against .. either the 'leaders of the community' do not represent the interests of the community (I call this 'Canadian politics'), or absolutely none of the people who support them frequent this board.

Tricouni

Post by Tricouni » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:07 pm

In a way, this is like the current debate about the Long Census. You've got 34/0 votes. But it's not a random sample of all climbers, or all Squamish climbers, or all active Squamish Climbers, or even all active Squamish climbers who post on this board. It's a statistically biased population.
either the 'leaders of the community' do not represent the interests of the community (I call this 'Canadian politics'), or absolutely none of the people who support them frequent this board.
Or they frequent the board and don't care to make themselves known in what could be seen as a hostile environment (you've made your opinion clear), or they don't care to vote, or they have other reasons for staying silent. You just don't know, and that's why this poll doesn't contribute to discussing or resolving the very real issues at hand.

Glenn

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Yes, that is why I started my post with "Statistically relevant? Who knows."

This poll doesn't contribute because the opposing voice isn't being heard. I don't know why that voice is refusing to speak, but I hope it isn't because they fear a 'hostile environment'.

I do support Jer's actions but I remain open-minded. I'm aware that I haven't heard the other side of the story. I would very much like to hear the other side. That is why we have discussion forums.

If it is being discussed elsewhere, I'd appreciate being pointed to the alternate venue.

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 pm

and that's why this poll doesn't contribute to discussing or resolving the very real issues at hand.

Glenn
IMHO, there are no real issues. Good people have been developing/creating/cleaning routes for years. Jer should feel free to continue to do as he wants (which is, I hope, to put up more great routes), and others will too. If there have been some situations where route setters inadvertently caused inconvenience or somewhat worse, then these discussions will help them learn more about best practices.

The last thing any of us should want is a bureaucracy to manage what climbers have been managing quite well for over 40 years.

This poll simply let's Jer know that he has our support.