Wire Tap

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
damien

Re: Wire Tap

Post by damien » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey all. For the one or two folks who follow this website and don't also read Gripped online, here is the link to an article which covers a bit about cleaning moderate routes which featured the Upper Oleson Creek / Wiretap Area.

Notably, the online version of the article has a picture of the newer Wire Crack (10a).

The full article is found at http://gripped.com/2011/11/sections/art ... e-diggers/

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 pm

That looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to giving it a run.

Rhyme not intentional.

Fish Boy

Post by Fish Boy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 am

You crack me up ^^^!

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 pm

I went for a visit to the crag yesterday while on a hike, looks like things are mossing over. Take a wire brush with you, or a chainsaw to take out some of the trees that add shade to the area.

Hope the new guide book adds some traffic. (Did Wire Crack make it in?) Can't help but wonder if pulling those bolts afected traffic in the exact way Dr. Frimer's always worried about. Food for thought.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:47 am

Hi MarkR,

Yes, Wire Crack made it into the new Squamish Select Guide. Hopefully some dry weather will see lots of traffic to the Wire Tap area. I haven't been on it yet, but it is very high on my "upcoming tick list".

Steve

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 am

Went up to the area yesterday (Sunday). 4 groups on wiretap (us included). Great route with a quick approach. Do it as 3 pitches if you are doing the wire crack route (link 1 - 2, 3, 4 - 5). Great beginner multi pitch.

Thriller on the Pillar is well worth doing too (can rap with a single 60).

Area seems to moss over pretty quick and there is definitely room for new routes.

ChuckBurr

Post by ChuckBurr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Love the climb, Karen and I say thanks for all the hard work putting up the routes.

After climbing pitch 3 we suggest restoring a bolt midway through the flaring section. The odd are that many climbers will not have two #3s since the printed guide books say only bring doubles for #2s. The flare is shallow (no jam well), wider than a fist, and lengthy. A fall on ify gear could be serious. Most climbers will be onsighting it and not Have the benefit of climbing it several times. For a climb that is so close to the climbers cam it should be busy but it's not. No on was there the day we climbed it. Not much traffic given the moss.

If someone does. It want agree with a boot, don't clip it. But this is a wider community than 5.11 climbers.

recador

Wow! Fantastic!

Post by recador » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 am

So adventurous!I love it! https://newcastlestaircases.com.au/