Wire Tap

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
damien

Post by damien » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 pm

smallman wrote:Yeah the pressure washer could work but I wonder if the crag is above the water intake for the chief campground. If so then the pressure washer could wash sediment into the creek contaminating the campground water supply and filtration system. Which would be bad. It was just an idea anyway.
Smallman, the base of the climb is still below the campground water intake, which is good, since inevitably someone with poop near the base of Wiretap. Actually, it is surprising the water at the campground is drinkable at all; do they treat it? Everyone and their dog (literally) washes their dirty a$% in that creek.

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 am

Didn't they just install a new filtration system? The 'treat the water' signs are gone.

smallman

Post by smallman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Climbed at wire tap today. It was crowded! (3 parties on wire tap!). So we did thriller on the Pillar. Excellent route - clean, sustained, and super fun. Also did rumble in the jungle and unless I was missing some critical beta, it was a complete and utter sandbag at 5.8. I thought 5.10 ish. Wire Tap looks awesome. I think it and the other routes will be seeing lots of traffic in the summer on the hot days. The creek really cooled things off. Great work anyway, Jeremy and CO.

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm

wow! great to hear of all the interest. Crowds? I'm so used to having the place to just Damien, the black bears, and me. It's so cool to see the area come to life.

smallman, glad to hear that you liked Thriller on the Pillar. I love that route too. I put two full days of cleaning into it and it was worth it. How did you find the end? We pondered and pondered about what to do. In the end, we put in a bolt after the crux, to prevent awkward falls for the leader or second. Did that work for you?

Rumble in the Jungle. Which part did you find hard? I'm guessing it was at the second bolt at the chimney. There's a bit of a trick to it I guess. I've climbed it and found it straightforward. And my friends Katy and Kelly climbed it and thought the same. Perhaps some beta would go a long way. At the second bolt, stay in the corner, and chimney straight up until you can get your foot on a rail. Once you do, it's a piece of piss.

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 am

Let us know what you think about Wire Tap. I've set up a Wire Tap survey. Once you fill it out, you'll be able to see all the responses... Fill out only those that you've climbed (please).

TAKE THE WIRE TAP SURVEY

Jeremy

Pedro

GREAT DAY ON WIRETAP TODAY THANKS DUDES!

Post by Pedro » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:26 am

That was a great day out...javascript:emoticon(':shock:') thanks Damien for the good times and all the effort to get this thing up... and Jeremy et al for the effort. Nice crag. The first pitch in particular of Wiretap is a legend. Float Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee was fabulous, heinous on the bottom... sustained gymanstic middle, steep juggy top... classic. I was only on TR and fell once or twice and know you aren't supposed to assess grades like that but still... think it's 11b/c.

Giving Wiretap a star ranking is hard. I liked it more than Cream of White Mice which (I really enjoyed) but not as much as Borderline-Blazing Saddles. I'd give it 2 stars in the McLane... no traffic noise is nice as well. javascript:emoticon(':P')

Float Like a Butterfly on the other hand I'd give a 3-star. One of the great single pitches in my opinion. Classic granite. javascript:emoticon(':P')

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:04 am

To view the up-to-date results of the quality rating poll, click here

Great weekend up at Wire Tap. Plenty of folks out having a good time.

The topo is now complete. All the links will take you to the newest one.

On Saturday, Damien and Alex tried to send Eavesdrop. But the tinyness of the holds at the crux spat them off. Rick and Jacqui had a try or 12 on Sunday. But nay. So Ian and Tony stepped up and sent. They said something in the 10d to 11b range. I put 11a on the topo.

Rick on Eavesdrop.

Tony, floating like a butterfly

Tony, stinging like a bee.

Ian on Hearsay

Jacqui following P3 of Wire Tap.

Jacqui leading P4 of Wire Tap

Rick following P4 of Wire Tap
Image[/url]

slopr

Post by slopr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:23 am

Wow that looks like awesome rock, great job!

damien

Wiretap Spring Cleaned and Ready to Go

Post by damien » Fri May 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Wiretap Spring Cleaned and Ready to Go.

Last weekend Jer and I reclimbed the first pitch of Wiretap. Good, interesting climbing, and a different perspective of Squamish. Anyway, some updates…

1) “Spring cleaned” Hearsay and pitch one of Wiretap.
2) Upgraded the anchor for Rumble in the Jungle.
3) Everything was surprisingly dry. There is a strong updraft, and at risk of a jinx, I think that overall this area will be quick to dry.

The Wiretap area is good to go, this is early season, so expect all that comes with that for the time being. Enjoy the climbs, the pitch two belay, and the unique atmosphere.

Download Topo

Damien

damien

Larry working the crack pitch 3 Wiretap (5.9)

Post by damien » Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 pm

damien

Wiretap treetop belay

Post by damien » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 am

Larry belaying seconds up to the top of p2.

damien

More Wiretap pics

Post by damien » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 pm

I Love Squamish Crack.

Exit moves of P3

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 am

Awesome line! Full meal deal for back to back 10a's.
When in doubt....run it out!!!!

damien

Upper wiretap

Post by damien » Mon May 17, 2010 4:24 pm

slopr

Post by slopr » Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 pm

great belay technique.....watch me!!! :)