Funarama?

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
Dru

Funarama?

Post by Dru » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:53 am

I know a lot of cleaning has gone on recently at Funarama. There are topos for the new routes at Split Beaver, Ronins etc. in the new routes book at MEC but none for Funarama (yet). Is there one in Squamish? Maybe at Climb-On?

smallman

funarama

Post by smallman » Sat May 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Hey Dru: I was talking to Harry Young about the new Barley/ Young routes at funarama and also did some of the new routes at Funarama. The mixed route to the left of Squatters rights (6) is 10 b/c and is super fun. Harry thought the bolted line in the middle was 10d ish. The line just right of First Class is an 11b and the furthest right route is a spicy 10 a/b mixed line. Bring small wires for it.

Dru

Post by Dru » Sun May 03, 2009 9:21 pm

there was a laminated topo on the stump by First Class on Saturday.

smallman

Funarama

Post by smallman » Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Yeah Dru. Went by Funarama today to see the topo you mentioned the other day and it is gone. likely stolen by someone. ARGGG!!!!

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 am

Funarama lived up to its name this weekend. The topo for the right side is in a plastic tube on the stump next to the 5.8 crack to the right of Squatter's Rights. Interestingly it lists Squatter's Rights as 5.7/8.

Funarama itself was terrific and I'll return for a few of the other lines on the left side soon.
:D

rockstarlette
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by rockstarlette » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:34 pm

ya, i've spent some time at funarama lately, and the topo has been in a tube on the stump each time i've gone. it would be a shame if it went missing... :S

bc2vt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Topos stolen

Post by bc2vt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah I talked to Robin recently about this- the topos were stolen by Andrew Boyd- some 5.13 climber who thinks "it's not right" to have them out there. So he has taken most (if not all, by now) topos and tubes that Harry and Robin placed out there.

{Sentence removed by admin} I mean if he was doing all the hard work- scrubbing and everything, then I'd think he's got a say..... but he's not!

rockstarlette wrote:ya, i've spent some time at funarama lately, and the topo has been in a tube on the stump each time i've gone. it would be a shame if it went missing... :S
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." E. B. White

smallman

Post by smallman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 pm

AHHH. Petty squamish territorial pissings. Such fun.

t2climb

Post by t2climb » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:42 pm

{Post Removed By Admin} General comment was in disagreement with removing topo's.

bc2vt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

I don't condone violence but...

Post by bc2vt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:13 am

I do kind of agree.

I would rather he just put the damn topos back. I hate it when climbers (just b/c they can pull hard), feel they can impose their own little morals upon me.

But yeah, the guy called up Robin to tell him that he took all the topos. So at least he had the guts to take responsibility for it.

Now I'd like to sit him down and give him a talking to.

And smallman- why do you think it's territorial? Has this guy actually put up any routes in the bluffs? Or did he piss on all four corners of the crag and declare it his?

I think it's more about some climber deciding he knows what's right for everyone. Without, of course, talking to anyone first.
t2climb wrote:If said climber did take all the topos the douche bag should be strung up and beaten with the tubes he took.
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." E. B. White

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:05 pm

i think someone needs to worry about what there doing rather than worrying about a friendly topo. what business is it of his. he never put up any routes at that crag or cleaned it.
Bradley

slopr

Post by slopr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Sounds like some people are having a hard time having fun @ funarama

smallman

Post by smallman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Taking the topos away is territorial thinking such that one person (Boyd) thinks selfishly he should dictate everyone's use and enjoyment of a public resource ie) the Smoke Bluff Park. So what if he has put up some routes there, the routes don't Belong to him - they are on public (crown) land. Putting up the topos is altrustic and benefits the majority of the climbing community. That is what I meant by the territorial pissing and petty squabbling which occurs here in Squish which is considerably different than the collaborative nature of the climbing community in say Skaha or the Bow Valley.

bc2vt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

funarama

Post by bc2vt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 pm

slopr wrote:Sounds like some people are having a hard time having fun @ funarama
Actually I've managed to have fun, but that's because I've been with folks who are in the "know." I've been one of those folks who aren't in the "know" in Squish, and that's hard, so I look out for those peoples now!

(I have had a LOT of fun on funarama....on the 10d there is awesome....wish I could tell you the name of it...but I simply don't have accesss to that topo to get the name! hahahaaa).

And smallman, I get it. That makes sense. I think though that maybe there's just too many people asserting their personal values over others.

Dru

Post by Dru » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Maybe if there was a topo posted on this website it'd be easier for ppl to figure out what some of the routes are, if the laminated topo was stolen?

IE somebody get a copy from Robin or Harry, scan it, post it here?