Senior centre location update

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
deepdownpaul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Senior centre location update

Post by deepdownpaul » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:04 am

I went hunting for the senior centers crag the other day based on the directions found out this site. Just to make an update to the fairly good directions, is that the trail head is no longer across from the 4th blue barrel. We took our bikes in from the designated parking spot, but the trail can be found on your left (as your heading down the road) somewhere between the 4th and 8th barrel. You can see the towering rock from the road, so just keep your eyes open.

We ended up doing a Huge trek pushing our bikes half way up the mountain, when we took the wrong trail which is across from what is now the location of the 4th barrel (3rd blue one).

It would be nice to see more climbing on here to keep that moss off. I would recommend bringing a bike along so as to not temp you to drive right to the site thus pissing off the locals.

Safe climbing

Safe climbing

ed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

seniors centre

Post by ed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:57 pm

just a word of caution, you might find yourself being questioned by the residents even if you're not driving there. It happened to me and I don't think they make you very welcome there.

Not exactly sure which one is the district's property and which one is private.

cheers
Ed
not so solid climber

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm

trail is across from the 5th barrel now, if you see the crag you have gone too far

most routes are mossed over now with the exception of the 10d, the 10 and the 11a to the right the 5.9 is "climbable"

The parking is now gated but still legal room for 3 or 4 vehicles on the road edge

I have visited this crag 3 times before all after work with out incident, this time I went on a Sunday and saw two locals on the road who said they didnt mind me climbing on the rock but felt quite strongly that I should not walk on their road..when asked why he replied "cause I paid for it"

I thanked them for their concern and said I had talked with other locals who gave me permission in the past to walk not drive on their road, they left it at that and carried on.

I would suggest going to this crag after work when the oldtimers are all in their homes

choreboy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by choreboy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Last summer I spent some time checking this area out. I simply ran in, no pack or gear etc so I was unidentifiable as a climber. Some a-hole in F150 with oversized mirrors tried to get as close to hitting me as possible. We had a brief discussion, and ford boy told me I was on private property and I better leave or be ready to jump in the ditch next time he came by.

Anyway, this ticked me off and I did a bit of poking around. This is my biased but somewhat factual opinion on access to Seniors Center:

-Most of the residents of the Woodlands are unbalanced reclusive shut-ins and trying to negotiate access is pointless.
-Their claims that the road is theirs appears to be legit, they have some sort of lease and paved the road themselves to get fire insurance. Why the hell they didn’t start a Vollie Fire DP like every other small community on the planet is beyond me. It would have been cheaper.
- I pretty much decided to quit wasting time on a paper approach and tried to scout a trail to the crag for access. The closes existing trail is a mtb trail and it heads up Seymour, probably to 3 chop vicinity. Not the right direction
-I GPS’d a route back to the (public) road but it is a long way and would require more than just a couple of people to cut a decent trail.

I would happily spend a couple of days building a trail if one of the diplomatic people cleared it with (fill_in_the_blank) first. Building a bandit trail is risky.

Otherwise, for most of us we can be on the rock at Murrin faster than SC anyways. Too bad, someone did a great job on this crag at some point.

Taylor_P

Post by Taylor_P » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:24 pm

So I headed to the seniors center today to no avail. It was my second attempt to find it. First on wednesday it got to dark and i had to go back to the truck before dark. Then again today (sunday, oct, 11) i met with the chairman of the access committee (or something to that effect) on the road. he wasnt stoked that we were there and insisted that we not continue further along the road. i spent 2 hours after that crashing around in the woods just above the road where i was sure id find the crag. my g/f eventually got tired and we headed out, never could locate the trail.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Just start looking on your left after the 4th blue barrel, once you see the crag walk back a few meters and you can see the trail. You are on the correct road then ?

Honestly the climbs are so so..and were probably wet anyways