Left Side of the Papoose

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
BlahMatt

Left Side of the Papoose

Post by BlahMatt » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of any old grown over routes on the left side of the Papoose. Did Centerfold today and noticed one very grown in corner ending with a couple fist sized(?) roof moves. Looked like it would be worth investigating but, curious if anybody has already done so and has any knowledge.

Thanks!

-Matt

Dru

Re: Left Side of the Papoose

Post by Dru » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:19 pm

Overhanging Gardens etc are over that way. See Campbell guide.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 pm

I think you may be talking about features even farther left than Overhanging Gardens, or maybe looking directly up at the finish of that old route. It branches off to the left from Hanging Gardens about a pitch and a half up. I'm the one presently cleaning up Hanging Gardens, if you were wondering what the fixed rope and debris cone of moss were all about.

There is also another cliff on the terrace above the approach trail for the Papoose. I'm not sure what the status of that area is, but it has seen some attention over the last few years.

As Dru mentioned, the climbs there are easiest to identify with the old Jim Campbell guidebook. The McLane guide works too, but there are so many new things there it can get confusing based on there being no topos, just the aerial photos with trees blocking the view of the base.

K

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:12 am

Yup, it was further left than your fixed lines (though, that line did look pretty cool), maybe 100 - 130m further.

I'll dig out my copy of Campbell's guide and see if I can find it.

Thanks!

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 am

Hey speaking of the Papoose, is there something on the backside? Doesn't McLane mention something about climbs there?

Anyway, I found an old flagged trail that seems to lead to the power lines before becoming indistinct.

What's back there?

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Ok, I know what you're talking about now. To my knowledge there isn't anything established in that area. You never know what you'll find under the moss though. It looked to me like certain parts of that area were almost perpetually wet. It seems like a good part of the forest above drains right there.

K

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 am

Very possible that it is a drainage chute. I'll head up there soon to decide if it's worth the effort or not.

Thanks for all the replies!