Copper Cove mystery climbs

Everyone can edit and update the crag information, but PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Uncle Rico

Copper Cove mystery climbs

Post by Uncle Rico » Thu May 10, 2012 7:49 pm

At Copper Cove, there are two cliffs with available topos: the first is the Tidal Wall and the second big one is (presumably) called the Copper Cove Wall. In between these two are two separate, very short overhanging walls, both with bolts on them. Does anybody know anything about these undocumented little cliffs /routes?

Uncle Rico

Dru

Re: Copper Cove mystery climbs

Post by Dru » Wed May 16, 2012 7:38 pm

They are both 11- Barley routes. Arid Zawn and Drizzle Zawn respectively.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 am

After spending several days climbing at Copper Cove recently, and also speaking with Robin B directly, I've learned that the farthest wall (topo in McLane's 99 Squamish guide) is actually called Supratidal Zawn. The other large cliff, the first one you reach when approaching the area, is Tidal Zawn. In between are two tiny zawns with short overhanging routes, the first one, Arid Zawn, now has two routes in it. On the right is Barley's 11b with 2 bolts. On the left is a 5 bolt project that is reportedly about 12d/13a and known as Aquaman.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:10 am

Climbed Roof Tiles (and a couple other routes at Copper Cove) yesterday. It was scruffy and the last bolt (about 7 m from the anchors) was missing its' hanger. The nut was on the bolt stud, so I slipped a wired nut over both, cinched up the wired nut and tightened the bolt's nut by hand before clipping with a long draw.

The anchor is fine - this is shared with Guttersnipe. There were a few placements after this climb diverges from Neoclassical, but not too many bomber placements. With more traffic, this would be a good climb. If someone comes with a hanger and a wrench, they would be doing a good service to the climbing community by adding that to the top bolt.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:52 am

Hey Climbers:

Went climbing at Copper Cove after work yesterday. Beautiful day. My friend and I were the only folks there and we climbed The Dark Vein and Gleefully Grabbing Granite before the tides came up. I noticed that climbs are getting scruffy and could use more traffic. This is a great spot with lots of good climbs and it is minutes from Vancouver! Many routes are sport bolted and a few need gear placements to supplement bolts. All described in the new guide book...

Steve

Dru@Work
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Dru@Work » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 pm

natsdad wrote: I noticed that climbs are getting scruffy

Steve
Part of the problem is that they face north, are shady, and seep through much of the winter and spring. That's just pretty much a recipe for scruffy no matter the traffic during the dry season.