Greenwood Park??

Everyone can edit and update the crag information, but PLEASE READ THE RULES.
aldavis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Greenwood Park??

Post by aldavis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 am

I was wondering if anyone would be upset if I started using the heavily spraypainted/broken bottled cliff at Greenwood Park in North Van to practise drytooling? I will ONLY drytool on the spraypainted cliff, NOT on any of the clean, non-painted or bottled routes or boulder problems. Any thoughts? Cheers

Al

psi4ce

Re: Greenwood Park??

Post by psi4ce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:31 pm

As far as I am concerned, not only can you dry tool there, but you can also dynamite the place.

My only piece of advice is: take a first aid kit with heavy emphasis on laceration control.

crazymonkey

Post by crazymonkey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:40 pm

I've heard vaguely about this place...somewhere to drytool would be cool since I hate to hang up the tools. Ice season's over :(
But how bad is it? Something a couple dedicated drytoolers could clean up? Complete deathtrap shitshow? Is this place a frequently used place for Trailer Park Boys-style bottle kids?

aldavis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by aldavis » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:28 am

It is frequented by bottle kids, unfortunately, but the situation is workable. The park is at the north end of Moody Ave. in North Van. I'll probably go sweep the broken glass off the ledges myself, so as not to get any in the eyes while climbing up. The glass on the ground will take a lifetime to clean up.

Dru

Post by Dru » Sun May 01, 2011 8:10 am

People have been climbing at Greenwood Park, aka North Van Quarry, since sometime in the early 60s. It and Lighthouse are the only two North Shore areas mentioned in the 1974 Culbert guide and Smaill guide.

At times in the 80s and 90s, and maybe the 70s, gym classes from Sutherland Secondary would get to go toproping and bouldering in the park depending on who their gym teacher was.

That said, it's mostly a old blasted quarry so drytooling isn't going to do anything to it that hasn't already been done.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:17 pm

I went there today to check it out and I highly doubt anyone would be opposed to others practicing drytooling in this horribly trashed quarry. In fact, from what I saw this quarry is one step short of a municipal garbage dump, and certainly more frequented by high school vandals than any peace-seeking, nature-loving rock climbers.

I did notice several bolt anchors atop the quarry area. Regardless, this is quite possibly one of the most abused and disgusting locations I can ever imagine hanging out in, let alone rock climbing. I say go ahead with your dry-tools if you're that desperate. With the unbelievable amount of garbage, broken glass, fire pits and graffiti, it's a horrible place to hang out.

That said, there does seem to be a long short bluff on the upper trail with some pretty decent looking short boulder problems on solid clean rock. I'd steer clear of those with your tools. As for the Quarry though, IMO, have at 'er!

aldavis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by aldavis » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm not sure if this is going to work but here's a few pics of the drytooling I've been doing at Greenwood park. It's a lot more fun than it looks, with technical round little edges to hook on.

Hey it did work! sweet. There's a few lines on either side of my rope in the picture, the hardest being up the slab just left of it. A total of 6 or 7 short but worthwhile lines makes it a pretty fun day of d-tool practise. Be prepared for broken glass, smashed microwaves(that's right) and strange looks from the dog-walkers when you're walking around the garbage in ice climbing gear in the rain.

Al