Harrison Bluffs - Harrison Hot Springs

Everyone can edit and update the crag information, but PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Dru

Harrison Bluffs - Harrison Hot Springs

Post by Dru » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Harrison Bluffs

Located on the west side of Highway 9 immediately north of golf course and about halfway from Agassiz to Harrison Hot Springs.

Topos:
out of print guidebook with many newer routes

Topo Description:
Please note all topos are provided by and based on information from climbers and first hand observations. Please verify route lengths, bolts and descriptions on your own. SquamishClimbing.com is not responsible for the information provided on these topos.

Directions:
From Agassiz, drive west on Highway 7 to the junction with Highway 9. Turn north towards Harrison Hot Springs. Drive north. A set of powerlines crosses the road just north of a golf course on the left hand (west) side of the road. The south-facing bluffs are obvious above these power lines.

From Mission, follow Highway 7 east to the same junction mentioned above and turn north.

Parking:
A gravel power line access road leaves Highway 9 and is gated. Park outside the gate, do not block the gate. There is room for 5-6 cars. It is also possible to park further along the shoulder and walk.

Approach:
Walk along the gravel access road for 2-3 minutes to a bridge. Cross the bridge and look for a trail imediately beyond descending into the swamp on the north side. Follow this trail and improvised boardwalk for 2 minutes hrough forest to the base of the crag. Subsidiary trails from here go left, right, and up a steep gully to access the higher walls.

Sun Shine / Shade:
The crag is south facing, but with a high ridge to the west. It gets morning and midday sun and afternoon shade.

Type Of Climbing:
Generally slabby to vertical crack and face climbing. There are quite a few aretes and a couple of big roofs as well.

Route Information:

Route Distribution & Types :
About 50 established routes from 5.6 to mid 5.12. A good mix of crack and face climbs, most routes take a few pieces of gear but newer routes tend to be more bolts and less gear.

Routes from a half pitch up to 6 pitches long.

Several established boulder problems ith more under development, problems up to V9.

Access Issues:
DO NOT BLOCK THE GATE!!

Peregrine Falcons nest on the FalconCrest Wall (high bluff wih multipitch routes at left end of crag). Do not disturb nesting falcons. Nesting season is the same as for Squamish falcons.

The Harrison Bluffs were originally climbed at in the 1990s. They fell into a brief quiesence before the newer group of activists began redevelopment. Many of the older climbs are sandbags - beware if using the original guidebook.

Some older routes have not yet been rescrubbed. Bring a wirebrush if you want to help reclean them.

Pictures
forthcoming

bigwalldirtbag

Post by bigwalldirtbag » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 pm

climbed here last summer, nice area, but noticed very closely spaced bolts on new routes, and bolts being added to old routes where traditional placements can easily be made. definitely appreciate the effort these new route;rs are putting in, but maybe a little more thought should be given to they're bolting methods. I think a bit of chopping will happen here, no one likes to find a bolt one move away from a #1 cammalot!!

other then that if going there, be aware of parking, we wouldn't want to see any problems arise from that!!

marc_leclerc

Post by marc_leclerc » Sun May 17, 2009 7:45 pm

bigwalldirtbag wrote:climbed here last summer, nice area, but noticed very closely spaced bolts on new routes, and bolts being added to old routes where traditional placements can easily be made. definitely appreciate the effort these new route;rs are putting in, but maybe a little more thought should be given to they're bolting methods. I think a bit of chopping will happen here, no one likes to find a bolt one move away from a #1 cammalot!!

other then that if going there, be aware of parking, we wouldn't want to see any problems arise from that!!
Yes, some chpping is bound to happen. I am personally trying to slow down the 'over bolting'.... otherwise a good area

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am

Dru, how about updating those old topos and posting them here?

mikew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by mikew » Sun May 31, 2009 7:45 am

"I am personally trying to slow down the 'over bolting'...." ......you just made me put bolts in for you LOL!! Just kidding. Good job on the new climb, can't wait to try it. As per overbolting, several bolts that were placed are going to literally disappear right quick.

NOTE: TO anyone going to Harrison Bluffs. It is not advisable to climb Crystal Ether as the block at the top of the climb is moving when people pull on to it. Just a matter of time....

bigwalldirtbag

Post by bigwalldirtbag » Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 am

mikew wrote:"I am personally trying to slow down the 'over bolting'...." ......you just made me put bolts in for you LOL!! Just kidding. Good job on the new climb, can't wait to try it. As per overbolting, several bolts that were placed are going to literally disappear right quick.

NOTE: TO anyone going to Harrison Bluffs. It is not advisable to climb Crystal Ether as the block at the top of the climb is moving when people pull on to it. Just a matter of time....

which route is crystal?? don't know the names of any of the climbs!

marc_leclerc

Post by marc_leclerc » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 pm

bigwalldirtbag wrote:
mikew wrote:"I am personally trying to slow down the 'over bolting'...." ......you just made me put bolts in for you LOL!! Just kidding. Good job on the new climb, can't wait to try it. As per overbolting, several bolts that were placed are going to literally disappear right quick.

Long (45m) left hand corner at the base of the bluffs..... is this Nick? If so you climbed it when you came out that day....

bigwalldirtbag

Post by bigwalldirtbag » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am

marc_leclerc wrote:
bigwalldirtbag wrote:

Long (45m) left hand corner at the base of the bluffs..... is this Nick? If so you climbed it when you came out that day....
No this is Frank, think i may have met you there last year tho, are the marc that lives on a fram near by??

bigwalldirtbag

Post by bigwalldirtbag » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 am

btw, if there's anyone close looking to climb hear and there in the evenings, shot me a pm. I'm close and wouldn't mind getting a few climbs in on days i can't get out to squamish!

Dru

Post by Dru » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:38 pm

i have a short prybar but maybe we need to get a big one and trundle that thing quick?

mikew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by mikew » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Dru I had a really close look at it and the tree at the top as well as the big block on top of the flake may be involved in the process. I'm thinking cut the small tree anchor off some trees at the top and use a car jack to start the process.

mikew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by mikew » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:25 pm

"I am personally trying to slow down the 'over bolting'.... "
LOL

Dru

Post by Dru » Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 pm

There are a couple of black bears hanging around near the base of the crag and on the private property with the cabin over left of the crag. There was a big fresh bear sh*t on the ledge atop Sleeping Princess today. Please be "bear aware" if cragging or bouldering here this spring.

mikew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Parking infront of the gate.....wtf?

Post by mikew » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:17 am

Drove by Harrison Bluffs the other day and saw someone park there full size 4x4 half way across the access rd. Obviously you can't read good kid!! BC Hydro needs the full width of that driveway to get in there, park up the road and walk the 50 extra feet.
Don't mess with other people's hardware on their routes, or leave your trash lying around. javascript:emoticon(':?')