Area 44

Everyone can edit and update the crag information, but PLEASE READ THE RULES.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Area 44

Post by squamish climber » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Area 44

Find it on the Squamish Climbing Map(Click Here)

Directions:
Drive approximately 17km North of the McDonald's in Squamish to the Tantalus Lookout(approx. 15mins). Take the turnoff for the northbound viewpoint.

Parking:
Park at the bottom of the viewpoint access road, close to the highway. Please obey all signs and DO NOT BLOCK any part of the Lookout access road.

Approach:
Cross the highway(use caution - high speed traffic)and walk north a little ways. Look for the Area 44 signs. It's approx a ten minute walk to the base of the first crag.

Sun Shine / Shade:
The climbs face west towards the Tantalus Range.

Type Of Climbing:
Great sport climbs in a range of grades. This area stands out for having a decent collection of easy moderate sport routes. All climbs overlook one of the most scenic views of the Sea to Sky highway - the Tantalus Range.

Route Information:
42 routes. Most climbs are 25-30m high. A 60 m rope is required for most rappels.

Route Distribution:
<= 5.8 - ?
5.9 - ?
5.10 - ?
5.11 - ?
5.12 - ?
5.13 - ?
5.14 - ?

Route Types:
? Sport Routes
? Mixed / Trad Routes
? Boulder Problems

Access Issues:
Currently there are no access issues covering Chek Canyon.

Topos:
Area 44 overview
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

jipstyle

Re: Area 44

Post by jipstyle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 am

Is there any way to contact these fellows to thank them for their hard work?

We climbed at this crag last weekend and we were blown away. The location is gorgeous, the routes and well-bolted and trail is easy to find and follow. But what really impressed us were the little details: maps and topos available throughout the area, for instance, really help situate newcomers to this area.

Fantastic.

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:51 am

Some of the routes are a bit contrived, perhaps, given that it seems like the developers probably had to rip most of the outer layer of rock off with pry bars... It's a loose area in general. For example, on climb #22 "Allemange Right", there is a sizeable pillar of rock actually bolted to the cliff. It's bolted with a chain anchor and attached right to the cliff. And you clip it, and climb it. We couldn't believe it, but we climbed it anyways...

Still, all that being said, both times I went out there I had a really good time. It's cool to have a new area to help relieve some of the increasing "crag pressure" in Squamish.

One thing has been bugging me, however...

What's up with Rocky Horror? The developers rate it higher than any other climb there, so my friend and I decided to give it a try. This was early last summer. We are both pretty OK sport climbers at that grade (10a), and it was fun at first, but we both got shut down about halfway up and ended up bailing off the route. It was like a bolt was missing or something, and you could either go up a chossy unprotected groove to the left, or pull a pretty hard (like V2 or something) unprotected boulder problem to the right. Definitely more :( than :D

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:34 am

Interesting.

I admit that we only climbed half a dozen routes and those were in the easiest sector of the crag ... so I didn't see the things that you describe.

Now I want to go back to see this pillar you mentioned .. that's bizarre!

It is great to have a new area, as you say, to relieve "crag pressure" and the location can't be beat.

Antonio5614

Gutter Cleaning

Post by Antonio5614 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:42 am

It's a Great Information. Most homeowners are great about cleaning and taking care of the inside of their homes but seem to neglect the outside! https://stocktonpressurewashing.com/

Kenzington

Post by Kenzington » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:38 pm

This is a totally awesome infographic. I love the illustration. I wish all of the guide maps would be this fun. Thanks for posting it! Asheville Massage Therapy

alicedrakevb

Dissertation Editing Pro

Post by alicedrakevb » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:12 pm

This looks good. You will get me. We have to work so hard on the research, so we could write something about it and share the summary of that brief notes. This is my daily work as I'm an assignment writing services provider myself, these writings are very time-consuming but also helping others gives another level of happiness.