Lost cam on Rock On Sat. July 12th

Everyone seems to lose their stuff and find other peoples stuff so lets put all those posts in here.
Tradrenn

Post by Tradrenn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 am

sherri wrote:I mark bootied gear with a different color tape than the rest of my rack. If I'm leading through a super-sketchy spot where I wouldn't want to fall on gear that I didn't "100 percent" trust, I don't place that gear. For the most part, though, I treat it as part of my regular rack.
What if you were in "super-sketchy spot" and the only thing that fits was a green alien that you got as booty a week before ?

Are you not going to use it ?

For the OP:
Tell your friend is shopping time.
+
I was on Rock On on July 18, that cam is gone.

sherri

Post by sherri » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:59 pm

What if you were in "super-sketchy spot" and the only thing that fits was a green alien that you got as booty a week before ?
Is that a trick question?
Girls just want to have fun.

Tradrenn

Post by Tradrenn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am

sherri wrote:
Tradrenn wrote:What if you were in "super-sketchy spot" and the only thing that fits was a green alien that you got as booty a week before ?
Is that a trick question?
Nope I was just implying that you shouldn't carry gear on your rack that you don't trust.

I personally don't like "U" stem cams so when I cleaned one I gave it to my friend because she loves that Metalious staff.

V,

pinner

Post by pinner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:18 pm

A friend of mine brought up a point that I thought I would throw out here for discussion. As he was mulling over the ethics of returning booty (he states that in his home crags in the UK there's no question, it's finders keepers), especially considering the nature of Squamish climbing as being a community, geographically and otherwise, he was struck with "the obvious answer".

Being that there exists a forum with a devoted Lost and Found area, his thoughts are that if you know, through this forum, that you have a piece of gear that belongs to another person, and can reasonably return it to them, but opt not to, you are decidedly stealing from that person, no matter what the circumstances are behind the claiming of the booty. (and as such he decries you as the "scum of the earth".)

Discuss.

And Brendan, I am prepared for the ripping apart of my comma plagued, Melvillesque writing here - rip away. (Damn, and I just read the "Don't use commas like an idiot" section of Eats, Shoots & Leaves too!)

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:45 pm

pinner wrote:Being that there exists a forum with a devoted Lost and Found area, his thoughts are that if you know, through this forum, that you have a piece of gear that belongs to another person...
i'm not going to argue w/ you right now... i'm too tired from my climb yesterday.

but i will bring up an interesting point: what if you choose to NOT read the 'lost & found' forum? are you still a stealing scum bag? :wink:

and for the record, nothing i've found thus far has been posted here...

sherri

Post by sherri » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:53 pm

If you find something, it has been lost by someone. By choosing to not check the relevant forums(ie: this one, cascadeclimbers, rc.com, etc) you are still making a choice to keep something that someone may be looking for.

Not saying that's right or wrong, but it's still a choice you make. Ignorance is not absolution.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 am

sherri wrote:If you find something, it has been lost by someone. By choosing to not check the relevant forums(ie: this one, cascadeclimbers, rc.com, etc) you are still making a choice to keep something that someone may be looking for.

Not saying that's right or wrong, but it's still a choice you make. Ignorance is not absolution.
we make choices like that all the time... like when some goofball fingers you when driving.
if you don't look out your window to see it, how can you react to it?

the assumption that missing gear will always be posted here, or elsewhere, is a bit silly. and nobody would waste their time trying to get that booty.
ahhhh booty... reminds me of chatting it up w/ women who have boyfriends... a waste of time (sometimes).

knowing that i'm wasting mine and my partners time retrieving gear only to post it online for the person to claim it, is just that... a waste of time. the person knows they lost it, and they made the choice between them to leave it. therefore if i spend the time getting it out, i should be able to keep it. and if they want it back, they can go get it back from the climb they lost it on.

dropping gear accidentally is a different issue tho... cause it was an accident.

sherri

Post by sherri » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 am

I don't disagree with you at all, Brendan. Actually, everyone has made some good points on the topic; its interesting to hear each person's view. Group hug?

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 am

sherri wrote:Group hug?
:D

pinner

Post by pinner » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Brendan wrote: the person knows they lost it, and they made the choice between them to leave it. therefore if i spend the time getting it out, i should be able to keep it. and if they want it back, they can go get it back from the climb they lost it on.

dropping gear accidentally is a different issue tho... cause it was an accident.
An excellent point! Hadn't thought of it in those terms...

alas, I am slightly disappointed my syntax was not attacked and remains intact (a nod to Pearls Before Swine here), after I left myself so open! :D

enough computer time, gotta go stuff my hands in a crack

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 pm

pinner wrote:gotta go stuff my hands in a crack
:oops: :oops: