Trad partners July and August

If you're looking for a climbing partner, inside or outside, local or traveling post your requests or info here.
Tradrenn

Re: Trad Partner - Aug 17 for 2 weeks

Post by Tradrenn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 am

Nevermind.
Last edited by Tradrenn on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:28 am

Shelby wrote:Mechanical Engineering, Waterloo Ontario
:roll:
who cares.

more importantly than what you do for a living is what grade you are comfortable leading.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Brendan wrote:
more importantly than what you do for a living is what grade you are comfortable leading.
Depends on the context I guess. What makes a good partner is a multi-faceted thing anyway. For moderate Squamish multi-pitch trad I would value competence in belaying and anchor building (which seems a reasonable expectation from a mechanical engineer ...) and ability to sustain a decent conversation during the inevitable ledge-sitting whilst queues above clear (perhaps less likely from a mechanical engineer?). Factoring in a very recent experience I would add ability to find descent trails in the dark (for that "so who brought the headtorch?" moment) or failing that: tolerance of sensory deprivation, repeated walking into trees and/or tripping over boulders for many hours ...

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:05 am

thesiger wrote:
Brendan wrote:
Depends on the context I guess. What makes a good partner is a multi-faceted thing anyway. For moderate Squamish multi-pitch trad I would value competence in belaying and anchor building (which seems a reasonable expectation from a mechanical engineer ...) and ability to sustain a decent conversation during the inevitable ledge-sitting whilst queues above clear (perhaps less likely from a mechanical engineer?). Factoring in a very recent experience I would add ability to find descent trails in the dark (for that "so who brought the headtorch?" moment) or failing that: tolerance of sensory deprivation, repeated walking into trees and/or tripping over boulders for many hours ...
dude, you're beating around the bush again...

we don't care how smart you are and how you equalize your anchors and what you like to talk about at the belays. the point is can you climb 5.12 gear, or are you more comfortable on .10's or easier?

climb w/ anybody here (locals, per se) and you're gonna be entertained, any way you look at it.

so back to the original question??

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:07 am

thesiger wrote:
Brendan wrote:
dude, you're beating around the bush again...

we don't care how smart you are and how you equalize your anchors and what you like to talk about at the belays. the point is can you climb 5.12 gear, or are you more comfortable on .10's or easier? what good are you if you're gonna be dragged up something out of your ability? it's easy finding people for that in Squamish.

climb w/ anybody here (locals, per se) and you're gonna be entertained, any way you look at it.

so back to the original question??

Shelby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Shelby » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Was the question what am I comfortable leading? I am comfortable leading 10s and would like to get on some longer ones, and maybe some 11's too. I am comfortable seconding harder routes.

pls email me if you want to climb next week. Anyone down?

spinmeatc@gmail.com

Matt Z