Looking for trad leading course participants - April 12/13 !

If you're looking for a climbing partner, inside or outside, local or traveling post your requests or info here.
Jud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Looking for trad leading course participants - April 12/13 !

Post by Jud » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for one or two people who might be interested in taking a 2-day "learn to trad lead" course with Squamish Rock Guides next weekend, April 12/13.

I really want to take the course, however, SRG requires a minimum of 3 people to run it (max. of 4 people). Presently, there is only one person --me-- but there might be one more, my gym climbing partner.

Full info/details on the course are here: http://www.squamishrockguides.com/trad2.htm

Don't delay...learn to trad lead now so that you can get a jump on the summer! :o (Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with SRG...I just want to take the course, so am looking for others who also might want to do so. If interested, you should register ASAP so that SRG can line up a guide/instructors ASAP for next weekend...)

Cheers,
Jud
judson.berry@sauder.ubc.ca or 604-783-7483 in case anyone has any questions for me...but I'm just an interested climber who wants to learn trad.

supafly

Post by supafly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 pm

hey - i will be doing this course sometime soon but i think what with the current weather it might be a little early in the season to jump the gun.

any ideas where they will be doing it? there's still a lot of snow around :)

Jud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Jud » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:01 pm

supafly wrote:hey - i will be doing this course sometime soon but i think what with the current weather it might be a little early in the season to jump the gun.

any ideas where they will be doing it? there's still a lot of snow around :)
"Jumping the gun"? But people go trad/alpine climbing in the winter... :D Anyway, next weekend is mid-April, so time to get going. "Weather" is what the mountains bring anyway when on an alpine climb.

As long as it's not pouring rain or driving snow, I'm fine, and some of the teaching can be done in overhang places. As for me, I just want to get started...I think we've got enough people now, but I'm still waiting for confirmation.

By the way, here's a beautiful shot of "trad" climbing with snow on the rocks...a bit extreme of course, but a beautiful pic: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... Post788281

supafly

Post by supafly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:06 pm

hey i appreciate your enthusiasm - but if i'm going to spend $260 i would prefer to be a little more sure that the weather will be dry.

have you looked at the weather? looks like rain/snow mix for this saturday so far:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CABC0279

best of luck but i'd bring some gloves! :D

Jud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Jud » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:11 pm

supafly wrote:hey i appreciate your enthusiasm - but if i'm going to spend $260 i would prefer to be a little more sure that the weather will be dry.

have you looked at the weather? looks like rain/snow mix for this saturday so far:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CABC0279

best of luck but i'd bring some gloves! :D
Honestly, I don't mind some rain/snow as long as the gear holds in cracks...but I've no doubt it will be challenging at times. I did a mountaineering course last June, part of which was in Squamish...guess what: it rained both days (and in Joffre Range afterwards we had snow, sleet, rain and then beautiful sun). You just deal. Best learning I ever had was there, in less than perfect conditions, since your brain and body works on a pumped level when the weather isn't "good". But we'll see...!

supafly

Post by supafly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:09 am

looks like you called it huh! smashing weekend weather.

did you manage to get enough interest?

Jud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Jud » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:25 am

Well, the weather, as always, does what it "wants" to do! I'd been willing to chance it and, in the event, we got what we got...which was sweet! Most importantly, the nice weather allowed us to learn tons, since it let us to get out and move around lots.

I ended up doing it with my climbing partner, and a friend/sometime mountaineering friend of his, so it went great with just the three of us.

supafly

Post by supafly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:34 am

sweet - glad to hear you guys got your moneys worth.

so where did the course take place and what was the course material like? did you do many leads yourself and were they on toprope or did the guy rappel next to you to advise on your way up?