Travelling from UK late April/early May

If you're looking for a climbing partner, inside or outside, local or traveling post your requests or info here.
quiffhanger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Travelling from UK late April/early May

Post by quiffhanger » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:52 am

Hi Guys,

I'm travelling to Vancouver on business but have a few free days (26th-28th April & 5th/6th of May).

As a keen climber I'd love to get up to Squamish. However as my dates aren't great (only really free on weekdays) I've got a few questions:
  • *Anyone going to be in Squamish on the dates above?
    *I've read on the forum that the Chief campground is the place to be to meet people: am I likely to find people to boulder/climb with on a random weekday at this time of year? Will the campsite even be open?
    *Any other advice on finding people to climb with.
I'm a keen all rounder: I do a lot of bouldering, sport and trad in the UK. Being in the UK I've never done real "big wall" stuff: nothing more than a few pitches but I'd also love to give it a go. As I'll be coming almost straight from a holiday in Fontainebleau I'll also be psyched for crushing some boulders, if I have any skin left, but I wont have a pad with me or anything.

-ross
Last edited by quiffhanger on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 am

im thinking april 5 and 6th is over. possibly you reversed the dates and your months.
Bradley

quiffhanger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by quiffhanger » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:57 am

bradley3297 wrote:im thinking april 5 and 6th is over. possibly you reversed the dates and your months.
Well spotted - fixed :)

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Ross,

You will be following a long tradition of Brits coming here to take on the tough granite of Squamish. Some of the early pioneers of Squamish Climbing are former hardcore grit climbers, one them has written the definitive guidebook for Squamish.

And more recently Tim Clifford came here and put the room project to bed.

Dave Mcleod is another climber who has crossed the pond to check out the Squamish boulder problems.

Now to get to some of your questions. The campground is supposed to officially open May 1st. The gate is locked before that but you may still be able to camp. You will probably be the only person there, especially during the week.

You should have no trouble finding people to climb with by posting on this site. Try a pm to others who have posted looking for a climbing partner.

Dave
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 am

Ross,

To get you stoked for your trip I'm putting a link below to Sqaumish Bouldering video that is on the site's Movie section. Many consider this the best video montage of Squamish Bouldering.

http://squamishclimbing.com/movies.php?&ID=11
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

quiffhanger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by quiffhanger » Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks for all the info!

My trip got delayed so I'm now going to be arriving late may: at least the campsite will be open.

I'm keen on the grit over here so hopefully the skills will transfer to granite well.

-ross