Good sport routes : Grand wall area

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
RobS
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Good sport routes : Grand wall area

Post by RobS » Wed May 03, 2006 11:39 am

Hi Guys, I'm coming over from england at the end of august and just wondered if anyone could recommend any good sport routes around the grand wall area as I think I will be staying at the campsite there for some of the time. I have seen a picture of permanent waves but have heard it’s really reachy at the top? Also, I have heard about a route called young blood, is this any good and what sort of climbing is it, more specifically is it bouldery as I prefer this sort of thing to massive stamina pitches. I have loads of info on the trad but not much on the sport so would really appreciate any help especially on area classics up to 5.13.

Thanks a lot.

Rob.

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Wed May 03, 2006 12:33 pm

If you can send 13 then spend some time on the "Black Dyke". Very impressive!!!

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Thu May 04, 2006 7:31 am

Try Permenant waves .13c, Eurasian Eyes .13a, Strait Outta Squampton (With or without rope).13b/v9, Creepshow.13b, Youngblood.13a. That should keep you busy for a month.

Rock_Climber

Post by Rock_Climber » Fri May 05, 2006 12:17 am

Isn't Youngblood that glued together boulder problem on the Kacodemon with the mankey looking bolts? ...cause if so it's pretty cool :D I just can't help wondering how rusty is too rusty :?

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Fri May 05, 2006 7:27 am

Hey rock_climber. I'll pay you $1000 to "boulder" Youngblood. Post up the video to collect your prize.

RobS
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by RobS » Fri May 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Thanks guys thats exactly what I was after. Young blood sounds cool and Strait Outta Squampton looks amazing. Guess conditions won't be great in august but will see. The route "archives" looks very cool, have any of you sent it and whats it like? If you know of any videos on the net with these routes in I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction. Im very excited about visiting.

Thanks for your help

Rob

Clive kessler

Post by Clive kessler » Fri May 05, 2006 12:19 pm

Good luck with that list the Jsmith gave you... Its full of classics.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Mon May 08, 2006 12:55 pm

There is also the recently opened project still awiting a repeat send ... I think the name is dreamcatcher. Its supposed to be hard.

The bolts on Youngblood are fine. No Glued holds on it. Bravado has glue on the flake pass Yongblood to reinforce it.

Permenant Waves isn't really reachy. I'm 5'8" and I could reach the hold. I know of shorter people who have been able to do it.

Creepshow is apparently suited for taller people.

In the same area there is Archives - 5.12d, Technical Ecstasy - 5.13a and Silent Menance - 5.14a

Hope you get them all. Keep us updated.

Rock_Climber

Post by Rock_Climber » Tue May 09, 2006 9:45 pm

Sorry JSmith but I don't have a video camera :wink:
I'm too cheap for now to buy a better guidebook but is there a good place to find info on these climbs(i.e. where they are)?

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Wed May 10, 2006 7:28 am

All of these climbs are in the cheif boulders in the same general area. To find them you need to find the Cacodemon boulder. This is easy, ask anyone or simply find the biggest boulder in the boulders (no contest). Most of the climbs mentioned are on this. Young blood, Bravado, and Creepshow are facing down hill. Permanent Waves faces up hill, starting on a tree with spikes for a ladder. Dreamcatcher and Silent Menace are in a huge cave on the north side. Archives and Technical Extacy are on the next boulder north facing down hill. Strait Outta Squampton is about 250m uphill (and a little left) from Permanent, facing down hill. Eurasian Eyes is on the left arete of the Bullettheads. Hike up the gully to a good ledge.
Don't say I never did anything for you.

Rock_Climber

Post by Rock_Climber » Thu May 11, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks