Visiting Squamish in June

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
TonyB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Visiting Squamish in June

Post by TonyB » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:36 am

I'm a British climber living in Helsinki, Finland. I've been lucky enough to get a working trip to Vancouver during June (I have to be there 9th to the 11th). I want to take a week vacation in Squamish preferably just before these dates but i could also do afterwards. It would be great to find people to climb with. Perhaps someone else is intending to take vacation in Squamish at that time. Alternatively, how easy is it to meet climbers when I'm there. Ideally, I'd like to climb trad routes. I'm not sure what grade I climb on the North American scale but in the UK I can lead at VS/HVS. I probably have to book flights soon so it would be great to know how plausable it'll be to meet climbers and go climbing. Also, on a different note - Is it possible to watch the soccer world cup games in Squamish, I would guess that they will be on pretty late in the evening.

Cheers, Tony

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:18 pm

Tony, if you stay at the Stawamus Chief campground you shouldn't have trouble meeting fellow climbers. Once you know your dates you can also post ads for partners on this forum as well as: www.gripped.com and www.rockclimbing.com. Catching the World Cup shouldn't be too difficult, at worse you can head down to Vancouver. Good luck!

TonyB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by TonyB » Mon May 15, 2006 7:12 am

Thanks for your replies. I've booked my flights now. I'll arrive in Vancouver on the Wed 7th of June (probably fairly jet lagged) and should be able to manage a trip to MEC. On Thursday and Friday morning I'm free in Vancouver so would like to try some local stuff. I expect I'll just turn up at one of the crags and see if there's anyone there. Any suggestions for the most popular crags. Then I have a meeting on Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning (seems strange meeting over the weekend - looks like you Canadians work hard!) and I'll head to Squamish on Sunday evening. I'll be there until the 18th.

Do I need to book either the campsite or the bus to Squamish?

I'll post on the other two sites that you recomend.

Meingh, thanks for your confidence over England's chances in the word cup - I wish I shared it.

TonyB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

rope types and sizes commonly used in Canada

Post by TonyB » Tue May 30, 2006 1:36 am

Silly question but I've never climbed in North America and I have limited weight allowance on the airline.

I was thinking about what gear to bring. I'd like to climb trad routes (single and multi pitch). Are most people climbing on two half ropes for such routes. Also do people typically use 50 or 60m ropes.

At the moment I'm thinking I would bring one 50m half rope (and hope that people I meet to climb with either have another half or a single rope). My other option is to buy one of these Beal Joker ropes that you can use as either a single or a half rope. A 50m rope is more useful here in Finland, but then again when I go abroad......

Also, if anyone can answer the previous camping question that would be great.

Tony

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Tue May 30, 2006 5:03 am

Single 60's (10mm or 10.5mm) are the most popular now and I don't think you have to book the campsite or bus.

I have no idea how easy it is to travel between Van. and Squish by bus. Anyone?

3apples
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

getting from Van airport to Squamish by bus

Post by 3apples » Tue May 30, 2006 6:03 am

I just did this yesterday! It's pretty easy. Don't know if there's another way.

Go to the public bus stop downstairs by all the shuttle buses. It's $3.25 to get to the Greyhound station.

This bus will drop you off at another bus terminal and you'll transfer there to Bay 1 and get on a bus 98? Burrard (ask the driver) that takes you to the Granville Sky Station.

Take the Sky Train to Science Centre/Main.

Get out and walk to the Pacific Central train/bus station. It's across the street
Buy a Greyhound ticket and tell them you want to be dropped off at Stawamus Chief.

Sit on the driver's side for the best view on the way up! :D

TonyB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by TonyB » Tue May 30, 2006 11:01 pm

Thanks. especially for info on what side of the bus to sit on.

PAW

Post by PAW » Wed May 31, 2006 10:33 pm

i think he is pulling your leg.

If you on the drivers side (left side) then you can't see the chief at all. But if its for the views of the howe sound that you are looking for then he is right. But as a climber I'd much rather look at the mountains then the water view that we BCites take for granted.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

3apples
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

sitting on the bus

Post by 3apples » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:39 am

Hey. I'm a climber and I'm a her :).

Totally agree with you on the view of the Chief - best to be on the non-driver side for that. I just meant that for most of the ride before the Chief, the view of the water and distant rolling hills is quite lovely.

rich k

Post by rich k » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:26 am

poor tony - he's gonna be all confused. tony, the bus ride'll probably be around an hour. for probably 35 minutes you'll have "sea-to-sky" views on the driver side (that's the left side over here), and for about 5 minutes you'll be able to see the chief from the right side of the bus as you near squamish. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think after you pass murrin park you'll see the chief out of the left side too, but not for long. better yet, sit at the front of the bus.........