'69 No More!!!

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Steve Townshend

'69 No More!!!

Post by Steve Townshend » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:26 am

i drove past Murrin the other day. they've now chopped all the trees along the base of the crag (Nightmare rock and the other side where '69 is). If you like any of these routes, or you've always wanted to try one [ie. '69] but you've been waiting till "next season" when you're a little stronger... well, wait no more!!! i'd suggest this weekend (the weather's suppost to be nice) because it might be your last chance! i think they're going to blow it all up! i want to find out when, and go send '69 right before they do, video the send, then lowering/cleaning the gear, then KA-BOOM!!! that'd be cool footage!

Peace
Steve

PAW

Post by PAW » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:17 am

it will be a sad day. :cry:

The last that I had read/heard about the road it was getting pushed to the west to behind up among the firs.

I guess this isn't the case if sh*t is already coming down along the side of the old highway.

Does anyone have a link to the actual plans of the sea to sky road upgrade?? :?:

Its hard to complain when you drive the new section before lions bay and just rip on through faster then ever before, or is it?
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:18 am

From CASBC

Murrin Provincial Park
One key matter seems to have been addressed. The original plan was for a full three lane highway from Britannia to Shannon Falls, with blasting to accommodate a future four lanes. This would have severely damaged cliffs through Murrin Park, including Leviticus, site of some of the hardest naturally protected climbs in North America. All that is required for the Olympics is a working three lanes. Climbers proposed in a report that in the long run the highway should be routed west of Murrin Park and Browning Lake, above Watts Point, and that in the meantime all that should be done was the minimum needed for the Olympics. This would reduce impacts on the park and its users, including climbers, reduce construction costs, and leave open the option that eventually the current highway could become a side-road leading to the park only. It would also not preclude a four lane road through the area, although that would also have high impacts not just on cliffs, but on the tens of thousands annual users of the park, and the park environment. The “temporary three lane” option was accepted.
http://www.access-society.ca/squamish/s ... html#item2

As fas as I understood it, highways had agreed not to blow up any rock through the Murrin park section.

Any body from CASBC care to comment. This truly would be a great loss...

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:11 am

From the BC ministry of transport

The Sea-to-Sky Highway Improvement Project will result in the following:
West Vancouver to Lions Bay – 4-lane sections with continuous median barrier including straightening, widening and improved sightlines (eliminating several sharp curves).
North of Lions Bay to Murrin Park – 2, 3 and 4 lane sections; about half of this section includes improved 2 lanes, and the remaining sections include additional passing opportunities with 3 and 4 lanes. Those sections that are 4 lanes will include a median barrier to prevent crossover accidents. Sections adjacent to Murrin Park and within the community of Britannia will include improved 2-lane sections, which is consistent with community input from pre-design consultations. In Furry Creek, there will be 3 lanes moving to 4 lanes with a median barrier.

http://www.seatoskyhighwayimprovements.ca/project.htm

I don't think that Nightmare rock was ever an issue - though I'm not surprised that they're taking trees down from below the crag. I think that Leviticus is safe too - from what I can get from these two websites.

Steve, I think you should go send 69 regardless of whether or not they're going to blow it up. I'll continue with my project in the area - which consists of walking up to the base of nightmare rock and trying not to break out in sweats and shakes due to uncontrollable fear. One day maybe I'll even get on one of those routes...

Steve Townshend

Post by Steve Townshend » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:01 pm

Glad to hear it's not going to bet blown up! that would be horrible! why are they chopping (have already chopped) all the trees then?

see ya at the crag.... (hmm.... maybe i'll go climb there on Sunday?)

Steve
PS. if anybody does want to get on '69, my anchors (webbing) are still there from last season. if you trust it (after months of snow and rain), feel free...

tattooed_climber

Post by tattooed_climber » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:47 pm

***I swear too much*** eh.....someday, 69 is back on my hit list....not anytime soon with my shoulder
Nothing like the sound of thumpin' a piton first thing in the morning...

tattooed_climber

Post by tattooed_climber » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:59 pm

meingh wrote:tattooed_climber you're forcing me to get creative with my word censors
yah, most people get use to that..... :oops:
Nothing like the sound of thumpin' a piton first thing in the morning...

PAW

Post by PAW » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:20 pm

I couldn't let it go any longer.

69 is on the menu tonight after my guiness. :D :D :D
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Steve Townshend wrote:Glad to hear it's not going to bet blown up! that would be horrible! why are they chopping (have already chopped) all the trees then?

see ya at the crag.... (hmm.... maybe i'll go climb there on Sunday?)

Steve
PS. if anybody does want to get on '69, my anchors (webbing) are still there from last season. if you trust it (after months of snow and rain), feel free...
If they're below the power lines it's probably BC Hydro. The chopped the trees at the base of Nightmare a few years ago for the wires.