chek cleanup

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
crusty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

chek cleanup

Post by crusty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:19 pm

The Climbers Access Society of BC in conjunction with the Egde junior team will be doing a crag clean up day at Chek this spring. We are also in discusssion with the dept. of Forestry re: getting toilets installed in the area. They are very supportive in designating the area in some offical capacity. Another one of our goals is to install a bulletin and sign board at Check. Is there anyone out there who could volunteer the time and effort to create a good area map for the bulletin map. ( a permanent fixture)
We are just like you , just a bunch of climbers trying to get some positive things done. Rolf

Pete L.
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Pete L. » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Any way of getting that old wrecked car out of there? Affordably?

bike

Post by bike » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Sounds all great! I am curious whether the signs posted last year were vandalized over the off season.
I was planning a day of trail work for the spring. Improving the trail to Whiskey Jack and beyond. Building steps mostly.
I was also going to post a sign at the trail head for this area. :D

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:53 am

Rebuilding the belays of Charlotte's Web and the Foundation Wall should be near the top of the list. They have become severly erroded!!

bike

Post by bike » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Does this require talking to the original route setter or do you just do it? Wouldn't take long. Though I'm not climbing charlottes webb again unless I can add one bolt! :lol:

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:38 pm

It shouldn't concern the route equipper. As it does not alter the original route.

Rolf, what will be the extent for the clean up and the map??? Will it include places like the Gym??

crusty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by crusty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Map ."Will it include places like the Gym?"
We are a volunteer organization with limited resources and will try to include the Gym with Gary's map if someone can provide a topo.
CASBC does not get involved with bolting but we do have some surplus donated bolts to help with project like replacing belays. We don't have many chain link setups.
Ouside my role with CASBC I can lend my own drill and time to help rebolting with anyone. Rolf

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:30 am

bike wrote:Does this require talking to the original route setter or do you just do it? Wouldn't take long. Though I'm not climbing charlottes webb again unless I can add one bolt! :lol:
To be clear, I'm talking about the base of each climb. They are both sand/dirt and that has worn away over the years creating quite a slope. This would fall under work the CASBC has done in the past. I just requires some rebar and wood plus MANPOWER!! Replacing bolts, I believe, is not up to the CASBC.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:03 am

An thus should not concern the route equipper.

Let's stay focused on the topic here ppl.

Gary, your post is a great conversation starter, but not pertinent to the intentions of the clean-up. Sorry Marc F, looks like you ain't going to be climbing Charlotte's Web anytime soon.

bike

Post by bike » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 am

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant around the base of the climbs. I agree they are pretty bad. They need retaining walls.

TimmyEvans

Re: chek cleanup

Post by TimmyEvans » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:50 am

I agree with bike. Those base of the climbs, they are pretty bad and they need retaining walls very badly.