Chek Master Plan

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Peter

Chek Master Plan

Post by Peter » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:44 pm

As Chek grows and grows, and I believe could be as big as Skaha, wouldn't it be nice to have a campground at the upper parking lot? The area behind the bomb sheds and at the base of the Foundation Wall would be perfect for tent sites. Put in a composting outhouse and there you have it. Whaddaya think?

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:21 pm

there is nice camping farther up the logging road.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:50 pm

The idea has been thrown around before. I'm for the outhouses for now. The campsite maybe after the crews move their explosives out of there.

Clive kessler

As big as skaha

Post by Clive kessler » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:20 am

Peter have you discovered a hidden valley in the chek canyon?

Strongbad

campsite won't fly

Post by Strongbad » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:05 pm

I don't think the campsite or outhouse idea would fly very well if done near the parking area. I think squamish thugs would take care of both quite quickly. I agree that we need an outhouse somewhere up there (hidden) but a campsite is NOT a good idea in my opinion. Even the outhouse raises concerns. Who pays? Who services? Who Builds? and more importantly WHO CLEANS IT? If you need free camping stay by the river down by rougues, I don't think having climbers camping in the parking area would benefit the Chek at all. Management of a free campsite that close to our best sport climbing WILL be an issue. Increased traffic and clearing large areas are not the answer I would like to see.

Just my opinion.

Pete

bike

Post by bike » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:09 pm

I think strongbad has some valid points. The government would most likely have something to say about it all as well!!

taranaki
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by taranaki » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:50 pm

strongbad.
you're kidding right? you honestly believe someone from squamish would drive all the way to chek to vandalise an outhouse?

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:05 pm

i imagine that any outhouses to be installed would be composting ones like they have in Skaha, which require less maintenance i believe.
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson

Strongbad

do you honestly believe...

Post by Strongbad » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:37 am

Do you honestly believe that someone would drive all the way from squamish to vandalize a shitty blue car? Oh wait, that really happened. Yes, the climbers contributed but the bullet holes in the car tell me we had a little help. There's no room in my pack for an assault rifle. So my answer to your question Taranaki is quite simply: YES!!! We live in a sad world.