Wonderland Trail Crag?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
psi4ce

Wonderland Trail Crag?

Post by psi4ce » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:34 pm

I noticed the other day there's a small, cleaned sport climbing crag near the southern entrance to the Wonderland mountain biking trail. Does anyone know its name, any route beta, or where there's a topo for it?

Tegan
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Wonderland Trail Crag?

Post by Tegan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:27 pm

I climbed there last year. Its in a old guidebook cant remeber then name of the area
I think Dryden creek crag??? Not sure. I climbed two routes in the 5.10 range. They were very dirty
But fun. Def a very quiet place on a summer weekend when all the other areas are packed.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:48 pm

We never really gave it a name when it was originally cleaned, but it became known as the Dryden Creek Crag in Kevin McLane's last guidebook. It was such an anomaly that it was only a footnote at the end of the book in the "other climbing areas" section.

The routes are unique for squamish, in that they have very unusually glacially sculpted rock. Almost like deep ripples in the sand at a beach. If the crag had twice as much rock (wider) there would have been enough routes for it to be a popular little crag. All of the climbs weigh in at 5.9-10c to my recollection.

Several years ago someone decided to use the sport climbs for dry-tooling practice and made a horrendous mess of scratch mark scars all over the place. If you feel like re-buffing off the moss you'll probably find them.

After the cliff was originally cleaned, a few friends and I had a fun summer of using the climbs as an after-work crag, because we lived walking distance away in Brackendale. The crag was originally cleaned around 2001 IIRC...

K

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:48 am

Thanks for the info. I can't believe I never noticed it before. It did look like it could use a little love now that you mention it.

Sunday

Post by Sunday » Mon May 02, 2016 7:00 pm

I always called it Ripple Rock - thought i got that name from a guide book too. Someone cleaned the heck out of the bottom 20' a few years ago and we jumped on a few routes. Good stuff, Mixed climbing. 3 minute approach from a non defined parking lot just let it moss on over ;)