Hangers removed at Woodstock

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
MarkVE
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Hangers removed at Woodstock

Post by MarkVE » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:47 am

Was up at woodstock yesterday and noticed most, if not all of the hangers had been removed from "Wavy Gravy". The bolts themselves appeared intact. I understand some folks had strong feelings about bolts being placed next to potential gear placements on this route, maybe this came in to play here?

Tegan
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Hangers removed at Woodstock

Post by Tegan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 am

Lame!!The person who removed them probably never does and never will climb there. Why people care is beyond me. Its up to the developer if bolts should go in or not! They are the ones paying for them and putting in their own time and effort!! Those opposed should quietly stomp their feet and throw a fit somewhere else and leave the routes as they are! If they feel that strongly about it they should fess up and take responsibility for the removed hangers! Besides having one gear route at a sport crag aimed at beginners is lame and a waste of time as the people complaining about the bolts wont climb it (probably to easy for them) and those who want to climb it but can’t or don’t have gear, wont, so no one climbs it. Well done

MarkVE
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by MarkVE » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 am

If the hangers were removed maliciously (i.e. not due to a safety issue with the route or some-such) I'm inclined to agree. This is primarily a sport crag for beginners and the route in question is still mixed with the opening bolts removed. It's pretty unlikely that the typical users of this crag are going to bring up a rack to protect the first half of this single route, so in its current state its probably going to become overgrown and will be of no use to anyone. There are plenty of gear-only routes in Squamish, it's unfortunate that someone felt they had to impose their own, elitist aesthetic at a crag where they didn't contribute to the development and probably won't be climbing. Lame.

smallman

Post by smallman » Mon May 16, 2016 8:31 pm

When I was walking by here on Sunday the hangers were back on Wavy Gravy. From my understanding there was some territorial pissing going on about a new hard route which utilized the bottom portion of Wavy Gravy done on gear but which veers off left. Someone took exception to the new route on "his cliff" and removed the hangers on Wavy gravy in protest.