best time to climb at Squamish

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
tonylourens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

best time to climb at Squamish

Post by tonylourens » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:21 am

I'm a climber from South Africa and will be travelling to West Canada next year.
Can anyone tell me when is the optimal time of year to climb in the Squamish area?
If I also wanted to climb at the Bugaboos, when would be a good time to include both venues, given that I will be in Canada for a month. Any advice would help.

tsouth

Re: best time to climb at Squamish

Post by tsouth » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:13 pm

July or August. The bugs are a harsh mistress in terms of weather. It's partly luck there but mid-july to Mid-august is probably your best bet for the Bugs. Squish is good during those times too.

tonylourens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by tonylourens » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Some people say that it is hellishly hot at Squamish in July/August. Are there good options to climb on shady crags/walls when the sun is beating down?

wanderlusted
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by wanderlusted » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 pm

I spent a time in Phalaborwa, South Africa from July to August. The midday temps were similar but Phalaborwa was slightly cooler at night.

A lot of the multipitch climbs on the chief are in the shade until noon-2pm and there are a lot of crags in the shade. While it doesn't often rain in August, you still need to factor that it still does from time to time.