The Official 2015 Arc’teryx Climbing Academy Thread

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Official 2015 Arc’teryx Climbing Academy Thread

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 am

Hi Everyone,
Squamishclimbing.com is a media partner of the Arc’teryx Climbing Academy -- a three-day event celebrating the world of climbing. Previously known as the Squamish Climbing Festival, this year’s event runs Friday, July 10th – Sunday, July 12th and features something for climbers of all ages and skill levels, including a trade fair, educational seminars, a trail maintenance day and of course, some parties, games and live music.

A percentage of proceeds from this event will be donated to the Squamish Access Society and the Climbers Access Society of BC. Whether you’re looking to get into climbing or are an experienced mountaineer, there’s something for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing you!

In the meantime - get your chance for free gear by entering the Arcteryx Contest
here and post some memories and photos of climbing festivals past.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Official 2015 Arc’teryx Climbing Academy Thread

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:45 am

Classic Clinic shot

This year the number and variety of clinics is impressive. I counted 13 clinics being held in the Valley and six in the Alpine (top of the Gondola) Check them out here
Dave Jones - site admin

cganzert
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by cganzert » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:51 am

So I signed up for the Alpine Climbing systems course and it says I need shoes, harness, belay device/locker and a helmet. Obviously this is the bare minimum but am I being given EVERYTHING else? Or are there some other things like anchor gear etc that seem logical to include that I would benefit from having? Although I am looking forward to it, I really have no idea what I will be spending the day doing so if anybody has any insight / knows who I could talk to I would appreciate it. Just feels odd showing up with no idea what the plan is for the day.

Carl

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Carl,

According to the information on the Arc'teryx Climbing Academy page about the clinics you should receive confirmation from Canada West Mountain School once you registered. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Dave Jones - site admin

marc_leclerc

Post by marc_leclerc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi cganzert, I will be helping instruct Alpine Systems. The idea is basically to prepare the participants to efficiently utilize a variety of systems depending on the type of alpine terrain they intend to climb. This could include a number of different systems including hauling, ascending ropes, simul climbing, advanced rappelling as they specifically apply to an alpine environment (as opposed to a big wall or multi pitch crag environment)

Also covered will be 'alpine tricks', to help the participant move quickly over a variety of technical mountain terrain without carrying extra weight or losing time. This could include efficient French free techniques, tension traverses, lower outs ect. If people want to get really crazy we can show you how to aid off of hand placed ice tools while wearing rock shoes :D

It will be a hands on course where the participants will get to practice all the techniques themselves with a highly experienced instructor close by to help walk them through step by step if required.

The exact itinerary of the courses are fairly flexible as we are always open to teach whatever the participants are most interested in learning as well. Specialized gear will be provided on location, so don't go out and buy a micro traction just yet. I hope his helps answer any questions, and we look forward to seeing you at the course!