**UBC's VOC Event in Smoke Bluffs - Saturday May 9th**

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
zachary.wentz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

**UBC's VOC Event in Smoke Bluffs - Saturday May 9th**

Post by zachary.wentz » Mon May 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello Squamish Climbing Community,

This is a quick friendly reminder to all weekend climbers that this weekend (Saturday May 9th, Sunday May 10th) is the annual Varsity Outdoors Club event, Son of Rock. This event occurs once a year during early May and involves a day of instructional camps on Saturday (May 9th) and an optional climbing day on May 10th. The attendance for such an event typically ranges from 60-80 people, with attendees ranging from those with no experience to those teaching trad climbing. We stress to our instructors that ethics are paramount, and as such will minimize our impact by pulling ropes that are not in use, following designated trails, following LNT principles, etc. However, due to a large group size on a weekend climbing day, we ask that for this one day of the year (May 9th) that the community accommodates our club at various crags at the Smoke Bluffs. Popular crags such as "Burgers and Fries" ,"Neat and Cool", "Penny Lane", etc will likely be crowded with instructional groups. Your cooperation will be highly appreciated. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Zack Wentz
UBC VOC Trips Coordinator/AMGA Single Pitch Instructor
zachary.wentz@gmail.com

zachary.wentz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: **UBC's VOC Event in Smoke Bluffs - Saturday May 9th**

Post by zachary.wentz » Mon May 04, 2015 4:50 pm

**Note: Due to our club's request for these crags to be available during Saturday May 9th, many members attending Son of Rock will be volunteering with the Squamish Access Society to help in trail work outside Murrin Park to improve the state of climber's access trails in Murrin Park. We thank you again in advance for your cooperation during our club's event.**

zachary.wentz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: **UBC's VOC Event in Smoke Bluffs - Saturday May 9th**

Post by zachary.wentz » Tue May 05, 2015 10:11 am

Hi Bearbreeder,

Yes a list would be phenomenal! Could you send that to me before 3pm today?

I agree; we will mention to our instructors at the pre-trip meeting that we will encourage and emphasize the use of these mossed-over areas rather than classic climbs. I'll be offering a list of crags to select from for each instructor group, so these crags that need more traffic will be a higher priority on our crag selection list.

Thanks for expressing your concern.

Zack