No more Squamish Mountain Festival

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
tsouth

No more Squamish Mountain Festival

Post by tsouth » Sun May 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Looks like all good things come to an end :( I'm super disappointed about this, it was an event I would look forward to each year for the trail day and all the events. Anyone have any inside info on why this it is no more? Smallman or SAS crew?

smallman

Re: No more Squamish Mountain Festival

Post by smallman » Sun May 03, 2015 8:00 pm

This caught us at SAS by surprise as well. The mountain fest was important for us at SAS to spread the word about what we do and recruit members and the trail day was an important community building event. I guess that Arcteryx believes that there are better marketing opportunities to sell 700$ jackets to the Gondola hiking crowd instead based on the replacement event. http://squamish.arcteryxacademy.com/

tsouth

Post by tsouth » Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Such a shame, the trail day among others was an event I looked forward to every year. Getting dirty, meeting some new people, and doing a little good for the community. Are there any plans to have a trail day and some of the other events without the festival? A replacement festival perhaps? Other sponsors other than the dead bird?

smallman

Post by smallman » Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm

on a positive note, there is now the new squamish craft beer festival to be held the same weekend as mountain fest was. http://squamishbeerfestival.com/

ARC
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by ARC » Tue May 05, 2015 10:38 am

Hey guys – it’s Justin here from ARC’TERYX – thanks for all of the interest in the new Climbing Academy -I thought I’d jump in just to let everyone now what’s happening with the trail building and the festival.
Our relationship and support of the SAS has been a huge part of the festival vision for many years and it remains that way today and will into the future. We live for the mountains and understand the importance of these organizations that create and protect the access into the places we love most. So the trail building day will be just like always (with hopefully more people and a more productive outcome!) and the whereabouts of the project will remain completely up to the SAS and the CASBC.
As for the new event format, we have not taken anything away from what was already there, we’ve just added a larger educational component to include more skills clinics, first aid and rescue seminars, and other vital mountain knowledge. Same Sponsors as last year. We adapted these educational features from our immensely popular Alpine Academy in Chamonix, so we thought the name change to the Climbing Academy seemed appropriate.
And lastly, partnering with the Sea to Sky Gondola allows us to introduce a whole new series of clinics for participants by providing access to backcountry zones that previously were not available for single day clinics.
Just like we’re constantly evolving our gear, we’re committed to producing a better experience for all levels of climbers. And we welcome and appreciate all feedback from our user community. The Climbing Academy website with schedules and all of the detailed info will launch here any day.
See you out there Squamish!

al pine
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by al pine » Tue May 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks Justin....

So am I understanding you correctly by you saying:
ARC wrote:...
As for the new event format, we have not taken anything away from what was already there, we’ve just added a larger educational component to include more skills clinics, first aid and rescue seminars, and other vital mountain knowledge....
that with the new format ARC’TERYX will still

1- continue to cash donate to SAS and CASBC as patrons of the "festival"/clinic
2- provide a place/time for SAS to educate clinic attendees about its mission/accomplishments and a recruiting opportunity for new members
3 - provide a day/time slot during the clinic for a trail day when many climbers are in attendance and in a head space of giving back to the climbing community

cuz that was all there before in the old, tired and out of date festival format. If not then of course you can't say you aren't taking anything away.

ARC
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by ARC » Wed May 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Absolutely! Every single one of the points below will be covered off more so than ever. See my notes below on what I have done to increase awareness / involvement in each of the areas you have stated:

1- continue to cash donate to SAS and CASBC as patrons of the "festival"/clinic.

As of last year I have created mini fundraising opportunities with in the festival that have increased the already agreed cash donation to each of the organization. Last year I partnered with Maggs 99 and Whistler brewing on a Taco and beer afternoon and all the proceeds were split between the CAC and CASBC. I will be doing the same this year, and hopefully more. ( if you have any idea's I would be happy to incorporate them )

2- provide a place/time for SAS to educate clinic attendees about its mission/accomplishments and a recruiting opportunity for new members.

I will be providing a presentation time slot at the beginning of every single key note speaker evening for each of the organizations to talk about what they are doing for the climbing community. They also have the opportunity if they want to have a booth at the trade fair all weekend.

3 - provide a day/time slot during the clinic for a trail day when many climbers are in attendance and in a head space of giving back to the climbing community

Same as always and will never change...only get bigger and more productive. Same time and same place as usual. 8:00 AM meet at the adventure center on the Sunday of the festival July 12. I as well as many others who work for our brand as well as on this event specifically are avid climbers and respect and support whole heartedly what these organization are doing. I am very excited to be able to leverage a brand like ARC'TERYX to bring as much exposure to them as possible and contribute to an amazing community cause.

Thanks again for your interest and looking forward to enjoying a Taco and Beer with you at the festival.

al pine
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by al pine » Fri May 08, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks for the clarifications Justin, I look forward to seeing how it comes together.

It sounds like you guys will continue to support access groups with the new format which I think I can say all of us truly appreciate.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri May 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Does this mean less traffic on the S2S?

smallman

Post by smallman » Sun May 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the clarification Justin.