Large rockfall, North Walls

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
tobyfk

Large rockfall, North Walls

Post by tobyfk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 am

Seems like a big piece of the upper section of Northern Lights just came off. Not good news for anyone on that wall or bouldering by the forest service road under there. :(

Anyone have more detail?

tobyfk

Re: Large rockfall, North Walls

Post by tobyfk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 am

From Facebook

Marc Bourdon
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Marc Bourdon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:39 pm

From the Squamish Access Society:

"Although the Mamquam Forest Service Road has opened following the rock fall today, the trail to Angel’s Crest remains closed due to an extremely high risk of rock fall. Further information will be posted as it comes available."

Several rock fall experts looked at the site today. There is still a pillar of rock that could come down hence the closure.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:11 am

The press talks about four climbers being evacuated. Does anyone know which route they were on?

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:03 pm

My understanding is that the four climbers (actually seven climbers in three parties) "evacuated" themselves by continuing their climb up Angel's Crest, and topping out. SAR was not involved in any extrication, rescue, or evacuation of any climbers. We were standing by while fly-bys were done to try to ascertain if anyone was involved, or needed help.

Check out Richard So's blog post about being one of the climbing parties on the route when it happened: http://richso.blogspot.ca/2015/04/angel ... kfall.html

How would your nerves be after witnessing that close-up? Yikes!

K

marc_leclerc

Post by marc_leclerc » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Slightly unrelated, but when Brette Harrington and I climbed the central pillar of Joffre, we were a pitch from the top when the biggest rockfall either of us have ever seen ripped down the Twisting Couloir. The whole mountain was shaking and the rockfall actually collapsed a large section of the glacier at the base, completely decimating our route. Reading Richards report suddenly brought that experience back to the front of my mind, as we put the experience behind us and said little about it afterwards. Such events are powerful to witness!

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Mon May 18, 2015 7:13 am

Are there any any access updates for this? Routes affected? Long term prognosis?

PJH
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by PJH » Tue May 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Can the start of AC be safely approached by traversing along the base from the Sheriff's Badge?

smallman

Post by smallman » Wed May 20, 2015 5:26 am

That would likely be the most horrendous bushwack ever. Slide alder over talus. Fun stuff.

Plus updated info from BC parks: May 20 – May 22, 2015:
Rock scaling work is being done from May 20 through May 22 in the vicinity of the rock fall that occurred in the Angel’s Crest area. The public is asked to observe all trail closures and to stay away from the area until further notice.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 am

bearbreeder wrote:http://www.squamish.ca/assets/Uploads/1 ... 5-2015.pdf

geological report on the recent rockfall ...

:mrgreen:
Thanks, Bearbreeder. An interesting read - photos in the appendix are a 'must see'.

cheers,
Steve

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Fri May 22, 2015 5:37 am

Thanks for the updates.

JAR
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by JAR » Mon May 25, 2015 4:20 pm

No one's mentioned it yet, so I'll add to the information here. The two blocks that came out formed the Chilkoot Pass finish to Northern Light, with the large belay ledge between the pitches serving as a launch ramp for the upper block. I climbed these pitches with Travis McC last summer, aND there were definitely a few "Should we be over here?" moments. The moves off the belay into.the roof in the second pitch were particularly exciting, I remember going up and down a lot before committing to flat flaky face holds with ledge fall potential. Looking at the photos, it appears that the brushy dihedral that formed the second to last pitch of the Calling got.scoured with debris, and that the ledge that formed the escape.route from.the top of NL fell away with the uppermost block. I'm iinterested to see what the access off the top of Zodiac wall will be like (not that anyone should be climbing NL at the moment!) In addition, the pillar that fell off lower down formed.the left side of the crack on the first pitch of Chilkoot Pass. Good thing I'm light!

Honestly, between this and pulling a heavily chalked block off of the Rostrum last fall, I'm a little rattled. A boulders life for me?

tsouth

Post by tsouth » Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Bouldering this weekend JAR?