OT- Squamish Health Care

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
johnthethird

OT- Squamish Health Care

Post by johnthethird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:56 pm

So, Ive finally got my wife on board to move to squamish (in a year) when she is done her medical residency. Except, there isn't one single opening for a family physician available. I wouldn't be so surprised with most other fields, except being in medicine, she'll have the option to work anywhere (and I mean ANYWHERE) in the country that we want to live.

From what we can tell, there is one family clinic and one walk-in clinic for the WHOLE town. Im wondering what most of you do for medical care? Do most of you travel to Van or North Van.? Does nobody ever go to a family doctor? What gives?

scrubber

Re: OT- Squamish Health Care

Post by scrubber » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:41 pm

There definitely is a lack of GP's in Squamish. From what I hear it's pretty much impossible to get a family doctor right now. For someone like your wife, the problem may be that unless she is willing or able to open her own practice, there are no openings at the existing one (s?)

There are two other options. One being working at the walk in clinic. It is shared between many of the local docs. The other being doing locums for the other physicians as they take vacations, mat leaves, etc. I had a friend who as a freshly minted physician, did that for two years here.

Good luck!

johnthethird

Re: OT- Squamish Health Care

Post by johnthethird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:01 pm

There is a shortage of GP's everywhere, the difference is there are actually job opportunities. Opening her own practice isn't an option (financially) ATM.

She's looked at the other options you've mentioned, and fact is, there are zero openings right now for a family physician.

Were hoping things change over the next year, and something opens up. And she'll be working at making some more contacts in the area. If nothing opens up she does have to option to commute to north Van., where there are plenty of jobs. But neither of us are keen on that plan.