Spine boards in Squamish

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
cganzert
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Spine boards in Squamish

Post by cganzert » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm

So I will preface this line of thought with its underlying source. I happened to be in Skaha on the weekend and was near the sight of the rap accident that resulted regrettably in a fatality. I was not first on scene and by the time I ran over there was already an ER nurse who had taken charge of the situation, aided by others who had first aid also. I decided that even though I have my own training I would have just been another person crowding, so I stayed out the way. At one point a group of three jogged past me and retrieved a spinal board with a basket that was situated in the park in an attempt to transfer the individual to the parking lot; unfortunately there was nothing that could be done and the attempt was called off. On a side note I feel that the help group deserves credit because their approach was exemplary and the ER nurse was able to provide precise useful vitals to 911 that were relayed to the approaching paramedics. It was a good show of resoursefullness, cool heads and general knowledge that the climbing community posesses; call it a silver lining I guess.

I have been thinking though about whether or not it would be useful to have spinal "kits" situated at crags around squamish. I feel that potentially in a less severe situation, this could help out with the golden hour and potentially save a life in the future. Maybe I am just an unobservant individual who hasnt noticed any around but are there any situated in Squamish? If there aren't, should some be placed at certain locations to aid in rescue? Obviously this isnt a black and white answer beause the question pops into mind of whether or not the rescuing party has the skillset and ability to safely perform a transfer, or whether the risk of leaving this to the public would potentially exacerbate a bad situation. I am just curious what others think on the matter? Like I said it is a multifaceted problem but if it is something that could save a life in the future it may be worth more consideration as a community.

t2climb

Re: Spine boards in Squamish

Post by t2climb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Sad to hear about the fatality in Skaha. Condolences to friends and family.

I have seen NO spine boards in Squamish. It would not be a bad idea for there to be spine boards in Squam but I have a feeling they would most likely be vandalized.