Squamish Chief Newspaper launches Rock Climbing Column

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squamish Chief Newspaper launches Rock Climbing Column

Post by squamish climber » Thu May 29, 2014 8:17 am

source: Squamish Chief Newspaper

This is great to see. There is a thriving climbing community and culture happening in Squamish that for the most part non-climbers know little about. Giving these folks a window into our sport can’t help but bring people together and grow the community.

Jamie Finlayson is a good choice as a columnist. Take a look at his blog, he has a talent for crafting a good story. He says his goal is to “bring stories about new climbing routes, the people behind the scenes, impressive ascents, and climbing culture.”

I like how he also mentions in his first column that he volunteers as a director for the Climbers Access Society of BC and the Smoke Bluff Park Advisory Committee. “Squamish is a special place and I feel it is important to keep it that way. Getting involved is a great way to do your bit in protecting what we have.”

I totally agree. It’s kind of sad that given the huge numbers of people climbing in Squamish so few are actively involved advocating, protecting and supporting climbing. Take a look at the mountain biking community. It’s bigger sure, but there are way more people building trails or supporting trail building and advocating for mountain biking. We may climb as individuals but we grow as a community.

Good luck Jamie and I hope you find some stories and inspiration for your column here on Squamishclimbing.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb