Thievery at the Malamute

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
smallman

Thievery at the Malamute

Post by smallman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 pm

A friend of mine had had her red Arcteryx pack with a large amount of her gear and clothing stolen from the top of the Malamute while climbing at High Mountain Woody today, (march 24). I am posting this a heads- up for those people who may be offered some cheap gear and as a warning for others in Squamish. In the case that the person who removed may have thought it was lost property and wish to return it before karmic wrath ensues they can pm me to arrange its return.

BONSTA
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: Thievery at the Malamute

Post by BONSTA » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:26 am

Thanks for the post Chris! My gear was taken from the top of Stephanie's Tears on the Malamute, the small ledge beside the rappel station that you can't see from the path. This makes me think that it's either another climber (say it ain't so!) or someone that knows climbers leave their bags unattended while climbing there. It's likely the latter given that when I returned with police dogs to search for anything that may have been tossed aside into the bush (how awesome are the Squamish RCMP, by the way?) we ran into a girl who thought her wallet might have been taken from her bag the other day while rope soloing at the same spot. The thieves went to the trouble to take our shoes, socks, smelly old thermal tops and water bottles that weren't in my bag - I guess nothing is sacred. So for those heading out to the crags, be careful about leaving anything behind even for one pitch. Please be suspicious and call police if you see or hear of someone trying to sell the following:
Red 48 L Arc'teryx bag (well worn)
MEC Uplink hoodie in bright orange (Small women's PrimaLoft jacket with blue liner)
5.10 guide approach shoes with custom orthotics
CU belay glasses
INOV-8 adventure racing shoes
OMM PrimaLoft-like jacket (brown Men's pullover)
The rest of my rack and gear is not so unique (except maybe for a new set of RPs): biners, slings, big C4 cams, rope bags, Squamish Select guide book)

One piece has fallen a long way down to land on rock and some other stuff was booty. I know what not to climb on but the thief or anyone that buys it won't, so I guess what goes around will eventually come around.

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm

shitty indeed!
I hope you somehow get your stuff back, but regardless, thanks for making us all aware.

BONSTA
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by BONSTA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Great news, the police recovered our gear!!! Whoohoo :) Not stolen, so to speak, stupid tourists decided to take it without calling out to us (there's no way they couldn't hear us below - I heard them), leaving a note, using the contact info inside my guide book to reach me or bothering to report it to anyone until now. At least, in the end, all we lost was two days of our lives and the money it cost to change locks.
Regardless, I will think twice about leaving anything more than a water bottle behind now.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:58 am

I have heard multiple reports of climbers (friends) at the Slhany having their wallets emptied while climbing, BK lost his entire rack/pack there...

Best to leave it all at home these days

Glad to hear you got it back, I think many of us would have wrote it off an never made a report, so good on you.