Frank Baumann in fatal single vehicle accident

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
smallman

Frank Baumann in fatal single vehicle accident

Post by smallman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:54 am

Sad news to report. Frank Baumann, died on November 1 from injuries sustained in single vehicle crash on the Hurley FSR which occurred on Oct 25, 2013. Frank was a pioneering member of BC's climbing community who volunteered his expertise in Geotechnical Engineering to many projects in the Squamish area. He will be sadly missed.

A service is being held for Frank Baumann on Saturday November 9, 2013 at 11:00am in the Coastal Church located at 1160 West Georgia Street, Vancouver. Please refrain from wearing black coloured clothing as the family wishes this to be a celebration of life as opposed to a funeral since they believe Frank is not dead but has gone to a better place in heaven and we are gathering to celebrate his memory. In lieu of flowers, donations to Camp Kawkawa are appreciated.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Frank Baumann in fatal single vehicle accident

Post by squamish climber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:05 am

Sad news indeed. Frank had the well-being of climbers and community in his heart. I first met Frank when I was 14 and in Scouts. He took our group up Diamond Head and taught us an avalanche safety workshop. I think his ability to make a lasting impression on our reckless minds prevented us from being swept away in a slide up Ring Creek later that year. Years later I called on Frank for his analysis on a news story regarding a geologic hazard. Unlike others in his field, Frank did not shy away from warning about the serious level of risk even though this threatened powerful economic and political interests.

As Chris noted, Frank gave his time and expertise to the climbing community on numerous occasions. Most recently, this summer when a block was perched dangerously above the Sickle on the Apron (see here), he worked with BC Parks to close the Apron and trundle the block. This was the first time BC Parks participated in removing a hazard on a climbing route.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Anders Ourom

Re: Frank Baumann in fatal single vehicle accident

Post by Anders Ourom » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:20 pm

This is very sad news indeed. Frank was very active in B.C.’s climbing, mountaineering and backcountry ski communities from the 1960s on, and made a number of significant ascents in southwest B.C. and on the Stawamus Chief. Perhaps his most notable climb was the first ascent of Warbler Ridge on Mount Logan in 1977, with Dave Jones, Jay Page, Fred Thiessen, and Rene Bucher.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations to Kawkawa Camp Society - http://www.kawkawa.com/about-us/

The postal address for Baumann Engineering is: P.O. Box 1846, Squamish, B.C. V8B 0B3 Perhaps mail to Frank’s wife Nadine, and daughters Katherine and Julia Baumann and Amy Robinson can be sent to that address.

See also:

http://www.squamishchief.com/article/20 ... oors-lover

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/ ... story.html