Cheap climbers

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
lexisquamish

Cheap climbers

Post by lexisquamish » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:58 pm

What is with all you cheap climbers?? You come in to restaurants in groups fill up tables for hours, sipping water, sharing a side of fries, and never tip!!! Do you wonder why no one ever wants to serve you bums. Tip your server. If you can afford to eat out you can afford to tip your server. Stop being so f-ing cheap.

original gorby

Re: Cheap climbers

Post by original gorby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:32 pm

If you are speaking as a server from a certain brewpub then you should think about whether or not the service you provided was even worth a tip (or the food or the gut rotting dirty draft beer).
Fact: Tipping is optional and is meant as a reward for good service and good food.

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Almost all restaurants charge a gratuity (of like 18% or something) for groups that come in, therefore negating a tip.
Without naming locations, I was with a group of friends (all of us being climbers save for 1 or 2) and when we went to pay our bill, we noticed it was a bit larger than we had expected.
When we asked about it, we were told that due to the size of our group, we were charged gratuity. If we hadn't asked about it, they never would have said anything to us. Needless to say, we recalculated our tips (which, up to that point, had been well above average).

You can't provide sub par service, then expect to have tips lauded upon you.

Also take into account that in a lot of countries, tipping is not the norm, and if people are visiting, they may just not know.

willbelayforlager
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by willbelayforlager » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 am

As a Chef I am involved in a never ending debate on this subject. The servers at my hotel have the tipping scales broken down by country of origin, social standing, marital status and even pet owners. They could instruct a community college course on it. A table of 8 or more we add on a 18% auto grat. Mind you there is the average guest check of $60 and the servers make a couple hundred dollars in tips on a slow night. A pub setting would be a whole different beast I am sure.