Sunset Strip horror show

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Paul B
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Sunset Strip horror show

Post by Paul B » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Would people recommend Sunset Strip over Millenium Falcon to someone who has a limited amount of time here and is thus only likely to get around to one of the two?

Mike Teschke

Post by Mike Teschke » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 pm

I'd say Sunset Strip is a little bit better. Or at least I liked it better, but maybe because it's new. It has a little more crack climbing and is a little more sustained at a similar grade.

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 am

t-bone wrote:Jesse, are you in fact a licensed guide (as your MeetUp profile suggests)?
LOL, the fact that you asked the question implies the answer doesn't it...

Sounds like a good route, nice work Colin and crew.

P

Paul B
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Paul B » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Mike Teschke wrote:I'd say Sunset Strip is a little bit better. Or at least I liked it better, but maybe because it's new. It has a little more crack climbing and is a little more sustained at a similar grade.
Thanks.

PStreet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by PStreet » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Where can I find a topo for this route? I'd love
To get on it...

t-bone

Post by t-bone » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Had a chance to climb the route today. It certainly seems like the 'route-du-jour' - we were the first of 4 parties on it this morning.

I would echo what the other posters are saying - it is a VERY good route, probably the best 5.10 multi-pitch in Squamish. I think it is of better quality than MF as the climbing seems a bit more sustained at the grade. Definitely at least 4 starts - though my partner and I were debating whether it would get included in the 'TOP 100'.

Regarding the infamous 2nd pitch - the 'high' bolt is a complete non-issue. There is a good foot hold about 2 feet off the belay that allows you to reach up and clip the bolt. Another option is to place the #4 in the back of the chimney and back-clean it after you've clipped the bolt. I think Jesse James' post speaks volumes about the type of person (and climber) he is. The amount of work that went into creating this route is mind-boggling so to slag CM and called the route 'Sunset sh*t' without climbing it is just ludicrous.

I think the other bolt Jesse was bitching about as extraneous is totally warranted - it's actually a fairly tricky move to get to the crack.

As for the trees, it's a legitimate debate that has been covered plenty of times before. FWIW I certainly don't miss them and if it helps to keep the route clean than so be it.

If CM is reading this, then please accept my gratitude for creating an excellent route. I think it will become the most popular route of its grade in Squamish (it might already be).

Oh, and the chimney pitch is awesome! Good call adding the bolts....makes it a superb, safe final pitch.

PS: Paul - the topo is at quickdrawpublications under Free Downloads.
Last edited by t-bone on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravisMcC

Post by TravisMcC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Perhaps the 'Skywalker' and 'Squamish Buttface' of 2013?

KeithWaterloo

Post by KeithWaterloo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:03 am

I totally was astonished. What kind of idiot removes the tree belay for another route and replaces it with stumps? I could have agreed if it was the just the tree trimming, but removing trees for another route is just stupid..