Squamish or Vancouver for Canada Day weekend?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Kai
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Squamish or Vancouver for Canada Day weekend?

Post by Kai » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Hello.

I'm heading to Vancouver on Saturday, with the intention of spending a few weeks in Squamish. I plan to camp at the chief campground, and won't have a vehicle - at least at first.

Not being local (I'm a Brit) I'm not sure how big a deal Canada day is; and whether people tend to head for the city or away from it. So my question is whether I'm best heading directly out to Squamish As I originally intended, or whether the whole place will be really busy (specifically the campsite) and I'd be better off waiting it out in Vancouver until the 2nd and then heading up?

I've got plenty of time, so if there's a risk of turning up and not having anywhere to sleep, then I'd probably prefer to wait.

Also going to be looking to pick up a bouldering mat and the guide, will these be easy enough to come by in Squamish, or am I better getting them en route in Van?

Thanks in advance - I realise it's pretty late notice but plans changed due to the Alberta floods..

Sunday

Re: Squamish or Vancouver for Canada Day weekend?

Post by Sunday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm not sure about the campground being full or not...

but BUY in squamish! Climb-on, and valhala's got you covered

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Kai get yourself up to squamish asap .CanadaDay is areal big deal ! The suns coming this weekend Squamish will be buzzing the crags will be packed come enjoy it l cheers hevy

staven

Post by staven » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm

It's been raining for a while now so I doubt you'll have any trouble finding a spot at the campground on Saturday. Sun's coming out indefinitely next week so perfect time to get up here.