Climbing Gym in Squamish?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
KennSippell

Climbing Gym in Squamish?

Post by KennSippell » Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 am

Is there an indoor climbing gym in Squamish?

Does anybody know anything about the Grandwall Bouldering Co-Op http://blurrstuff.com/page.php?page=N:news?327? Where is it located and is it still active?

I'm interested to know the story of this co-op or to talk with folks who have thought about starting a climbing gym in Squamish. It seems like something that people would use and enjoy...

Mike Teschke

Re: Climbing Gym in Squamish?

Post by Mike Teschke » Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 am

The bouldering co-op is great! People use it and enjoy it ;)
It is located on loggers lane, downtown. Memberships are annual, or you can try to find a member to take you there and pay a drop in fee if you'd like to try it out, but you do need to be accompanied by a memebr and sign a waiver to drop in.
I think that Climb-On/OutWest still handles the memberships?

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 am

I'm not sure that Squamish has the population to support a climbing gym, especially through the summer. I heard of someone doing a feasibility study on starting one within the last few years, and the numbers just didn't add up. On top of that, our real estate, including the sort of light industrial building needed for a gym, is prohibitively expensive.

K

quantum7

Post by quantum7 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:39 am

I would support it!!! I currently drive twice a week (when the weather sucks) to North Van to climb at the gym there. This is expensive and time consuming but using the gym is important in staying fit in the off season. I would pay more in membership fees to have a local gym for sure. Creativity in utilizing the space would be a must in the summer, and all year for that matter. We have absolutely nothing to do at night in this town, so a gym would be great even as a social outlet. I also think there is a market in Squamish for people who like the fitness aspect of indoor climbing who may not ever care to get on real rock. Some research into the business models of other climbing gyms might help a prospective entrepreneur - branch out into a facility that has a space for yoga, weights, a cafe or meeting area, have DJs like the new bouldering gym in the city... But alas, it could be the real estate prices that hammer the final nail in the coffin of such an idea...