winter climbing in squamish

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
scottmanman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

winter climbing in squamish

Post by scottmanman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:20 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I'm from Texas so that's how it goes. I'll be in the area around christmas time and I'm curious if it's possible to climb around Squamish during december. Any advice and beta is appreciated. Thanks

scottmanman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: winter climbing in squamish

Post by scottmanman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm

alright well, I was hoping you'd say some version of that. I figure if I can stand the cold and the sun is out then it'll be good. Do you have suggestions as to what walls get the most sun and stay the driest; particularly, any classic routes that would be likely options? I've never been there so I'm not sure where to set my sights. cheers,

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Not a dumb question at all. If it's sunny some things dry out very quickly. You may get a bit of dampness in the cracks sometimes, but often it can be great. Advice:

Stay in the sun. It'll be unpleasantly cold if you don't.
Start late, give the rock a chance to warm up.
Smoke Bluffs are the name of the game. Climbed at the base of the Grand yesterday, and while we had a great day it was a little too greasy and a little too cold. I've had plenty of great winter days in the bluffs, lots of Southern exposure.
North of Squamish gains in elevation, so really stick to Squish.
You want at least one day of sun to dry things out. Two is ideal. Three or more and things start really opening up.
Friction is amazing at these temps, they say. I don't climb hard enough for it to matter much.
Boulders dry surprisingly quickly, even in the forest.
Hands warmers in the chalk bag never hurt anyone. You'd be surprised the difference it makes.
If you're expecting it to stop raining, it won't. Let the sun think you're not paying attention.

scottmanman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by scottmanman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 am

very good, thanks for the help. I'm excited and already putting in my requests for sun; so if it's abnormally sunny from December 20-31 you're welcome.

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 am

I hear area 44 can be ok in Winter. Thoughts? Wisdom?

Fish Boy

Post by Fish Boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm