Hold Missing from "Baraka" at the Pet?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
2eREP
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Hold Missing from "Baraka" at the Pet?

Post by 2eREP » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 am

For the last month-and-a-half, I’ve been reacquainting myself with some golden oldies at the Petrifying Wall after a lengthy leave of absence from climbing.

I was on Baraka last week, and thought that something must be amiss. I cruised up the arch, and through the traverse, but was stopped dead in my tracks just before the route heads up into the run-out section.

It has been a number of years since I was last on the route, admittedly, but I don’t recollect there being a one move ‘Smack you down to size’ crux at that location.

A month earlier, I watched as another young hopeful’s ambitions were dashed in precisely the same spot on Baraka. At the time, I attributed his lack of progress to him being a milksop. However, I, too, have now been infantilized at the same spot.

Anyone have the inside track on this?

After all of my attempts at Baraka were frustrated, I switched to the "Syringe" to salve my spirits. The Syringe seems easy by comparison.

2eREP
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Hold Missing from "Baraka" at the Pet?

Post by 2eREP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

Baraka isn't one the Pet Wall's trade routes, and usually languishes in obscurity, so I'm thinking that the damage occurred recently.

I'm going to take the bold and saucy step of saying that:

A key feature of the route "Baraka" has broken off, and the climb is now more difficult than 12b.
This new crux is encountered after the right-leaning traverse to the very large jug, and before the route enters the slabby/easy run-out section.