Is Squamish Soft?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
psi4ce

Re: Is Squamish Soft?

Post by psi4ce » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 am

Several years ago, I was fortunate enough to climb the Grand Wall because a good friend of mine essentially guided me up it.

It was without a doubt one the most incredible climbs of my life.

I freed most of it, but I did struggle in the harder cruxes and I pulled aid whenever necessary to get myself through in a reasonably efficient manner. I remember the crux on the Sword being particularly difficult, and after I fell off it, I aided a couple of moves.

Being up there in that difficult terrain was a struggle at times, but it was so amazingly, incredibly awesome. It was borderline spiritual.

Hilarious, right?

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 am

Depends on how you look at it. It's great to go out and get on something that tests you, but I think it's also important that you have fun while doing it.

I got stuck in a squeeze chimney once. For an hour. Hated it while it was happening, cause it sucked. Some people walked by and gave me some pointers, like how I'm not supposed to go in the chimney in the first place. It must have looked pretty stupid, my grovelfest, but some random passersby got a chuckle out of my predicament, and that makes it worth it.

More people know Jason Kruk as 'that rock climber who sh*t himself' rather than 'that guy who chopped Cerro Torre'. You see him getting all worked up about it? Hell no, he fully endorsed it, to the point where he went on a tv show where the sole purpose was making fun of him.

Some things just happen to be funny. Whether they are or not to one person shouldn't matter.

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 am

I was still down at the base. That's why it was so funny; because from down below, it just looked like a ledge with two legs sticking out of it.
I doubt he heard me laughing, but he could probably hear me cheering him on. Does that make a difference?

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am

Good. That's how it should be!

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm

My conclusion based on evidence found on this thread is that

A) Squamish grades are soft in general with a few anomalies here and there.

B) Squamishclimbing.com frequent posters(myself included) are LIGHT!
Imaging how much funner this could be with booze and explosives

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Yeah, you're the lightest climber I know!

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:24 pm

bearbreeder wrote:lol ... whats hilarious is that i fell off a 5.8 at both barrier and open books this year ... and we laughed our azz off at that ...

thats my data point for soft squishy grades ... i think the last "5.8" i fell off here was mosquito years ago ... and the grades at sullies are softer than squish IMO, if its a 5.12 , i shouldnt be able to climb it :mrgreen:
Heh .. I fell on the 5.7 (yes .. five seven) on Calculus crack, so .. nothing to brag about here. :oops:

At least I learned not to wear my anasazis for crack climbing ... my feet still hurt thinking about that day

browniephoto
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by browniephoto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:39 pm

you know what's the funniest of all?!!?!?!?

you're all gonna die!!!

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 pm

bearbreeder wrote:i believe there was an accident years ago on calculus where an experienced gentleman fell off the initial pitches and decked
I actually met that guy revisiting his accident scene on the approach pitches to Calculus. He almost died. He apparently fell off the tricky crux bulge just before the big root-pulls, a section I have lead a few times myself. He said it was a fluke that he fell. When I met him, he was climbing with his young daughter and he said he wanted to show her where the accident had happened...

I also met a dude once, a friend of my brother-in-law's, who fell off the Sword and decked. When he woke up in the hospital and stared his fiance directly in the face, he didn't recognize her. He didn't recognize anybody. He didn't even remember his own name.

I also lost a great friend of mine, Heather. She died when she fell while climbing at Red Rocks a couple of years ago, on some moderate that no one would have expected to be deadly.

Go climbing and, yes, of course, have fun. But while you are at it, be safe, and try to show a little respect.

relic

Post by relic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Uggggggggggh, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Mmmmmmmmnnnnnnn, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

My brain hurts reading this thread.

Some people should just reeeelaxxxxxxx a little. Wash the sand out of your lady parts.

Jeeeeez.

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 pm

gnarnaphobe wrote:My conclusion based on evidence found on this thread is that

A) Squamish grades are soft in general with a few anomalies here and there.

B) Squamishclimbing.com frequent posters(myself included) are LIGHT!
I've got two words for that:

Next thread!

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 am

Yeah, time to move on.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am

Next thread:
What are the hardest pitches in Squamish for their current guidebook grade. (most recent Bourdon or McLane guide book)

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:49 pm

bearbreeder wrote: IMHO moderates can be more dangerous than harder climbs ... i find that it often means much poorer falls, and often poorer/less gear placements, and you may be running it out anyways ...
Yep .. that is exactly what bit me in the a$%, actually. I was on easy terrain, not really paying attention to the climbing ... just my feet that were in agony from wearing the wrong shoes. I pulled my right foot out of the crack "just for a second" to regain some feeling and my left, which was just carelessly smeared .. popped. I went for a good 30 ft. slab ride because the pain made me forget I was on lead.

I've never run backwards so fast in my life. :lol:

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:26 pm

scrubber wrote:Next thread:
What are the hardest pitches in Squamish for their current guidebook grade. (most recent Bourdon or McLane guide book)
I thought that slab to the L of Klahane Crack was the living end for 10b, and the first bolt is in orbit.