Squamish in a nutshell - A roadtrippers pov

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squamish in a nutshell - A roadtrippers pov

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 am

Nick, an electrical engineer from Massachusetts, Elena a climbing gym manager and their dog Taylor are on a cross country climbing and surfing road trip. They are blogging about it at Travels With Taylor : In which we trade our cars, home, and salaries for surfing, climbing, and adventure.

They recently arrived in town and Nick offered his first impressions which are kind of interesting because I think they highlight the challenges facing Squamish. Here's a bit of an excerpt:
To live in Squamish, you’ve either got to be super-rich, or a complete dirtbag,” said a friend. I had started a conversation at the dinner table saying that I didn’t “get” the town, in the sense that it didn’t have a unifying feel – a pulse, if you will. I’ve only been in Squamish for a week, but it usually takes far less time for me to understand what a place is all about. Consequently, I grew impatient, and needed someone with some experience to offer an explanation.

It’s too large to be a small town, but too small to be a big city. With the end of it’s logging roots in 2006, it now lacks any real commerce or industry to support a lively art scene or a permanent recreation class, so many families who live in Squamish are supported by work in Vancouver. The colleges in the area are small, and so is their impact. The winter tourism is far overshadowed by Whistler to the north, where most outdoor professionals will find work, and most wealthy individuals will spend their money. Since there is little to do for eight months out of the year, the population is reduced to those escaping the high cost of living of Whistler or North Vancouver, and a small number who live off the minimal tourism the town is able to attract – Squamish isn’t a fake Bavarian Village like Leavenworth, although it might do better if it were.

The climbers here are dedicated, talented, and experienced. Many work as guides, waiters, bartenders, or instructors of some sort. Others don’t really work at all, and are simply spending a couple months dirtbagging here between destinations. Nearly all of them are non-permanent.

All this means that if you’re an outdoor athlete in Squamish, you should be free of the distractions that life usually provides. Camping is somewhat abundant, and the food, in deference to what many have told me, is not too expensive (there are THREE major grocers in the town: Nesters, Save-On-Foods, and WalMart). Biking around town is easy and safe, with dedicated lanes right on Rt.99 and bike racks at every major store.
So what do people think, is this an accurate description?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

scrubber

Re: Squamish in a nutshell - A roadtrippers pov

Post by scrubber » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 am

I can agree with a few of their sentiments, but it seems like a pretty superficial view overall. There a lot of mid-income level folks making a go of it here, either by choice or necessity, even though there are many cheaper places to live in the province. Having a clear picture of a town's "sense of community" will take far longer than a visit on a road trip. In fact, I would challenge that the true sense of community comes forward in our off-seasons, when we're much less focused on trying to fit in every possible minute of (insert your favored outdoor pursuit here) we can, in between life's other obligations.

And really, If they couldn't even figure out how many grocery stores we have, how would they get a clear picture of what out town is really about? ;)

Kris

Dru

Post by Dru » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:12 am

"Nearly all are non-permanent"?

I think this is a case of those who start with a preconception finding evidence to support it.

Also, the forest industry isn't dead, although the mill is. This just means that most logs get shipped far away to be processed - it doesn't mean logging has stopped.

travelswithtaylor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by travelswithtaylor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Hey guys, first off, thank you for taking the time to read my words.

I was nervous after writing that post, since I was being critical of a town that was undoubtedly near and dear to many peoples' hearts. I appreciate you going easy on me.

It was absolutely superficial, and I definitely had preconceptions going into it, all of which go into my "first impressions". You see, the only "climbing" towns in which I have spent any time are New Paltz and Boulder, assuming that Squamish is considered a climbing town. It was to those spots that I immediately started making comparisons.

My idea of what Squamish really is changes every day, but I'm constantly trying to understand it. There will undoubtedly be more posts highlighting my personal experiences and opinions, if you care to read about them, and I'm generally only critical right up front.

I had a great day bouldering below the Chief yesterday, and met a couple local climbers who were very cool... and super strong. One has been living in Squamish for 6 years, and the other, 12 years.

It turned out to be one of the most memorable days of climbing I've had.

-Nick

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Nick,

Thanks for jumping in especially when you were kind of put on the spot after I linked to your blog. But, as you made some good points and I think it's important that locals hear uncensored opinions about Squamish and the climbing I thought it was an excellent topic for discussion.

The town has been debating its identity for some time, especially since the collapse of the forest industry. Squamish has been described as the hole in the doughnut in the middle between Whistler and Vancouver.

You began by highlighting that there is no unifying feel to the town. As an outsider living on Bowen Island I have a theory about this. Squamish and Bowen Island have turned into bedroom communities as people move there for the lifestyle and affordability but make long commutes to make it work. That commute is draining and time consuming leaving people protective about the time they do have. Commuters are less inclined to get involved in their community.

So for climbing this means people are focused on using what spare time they have, to get out on the rock and don't consider community involvement. This is why I think participation in the Squamish Access Society is low given the number of climbers in Squamish.

Anyway have a great trip here, experience everything Squamish has to offer - the climbing, hiking, biking, paddling and kite surfing . I hope you meet some great friendly people too.
Dave Jones - site admin

travelswithtaylor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by travelswithtaylor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Aha. I see how it is, Dave. Wait for someone else to say it and test the waters, eh? Let the stranger take the heat?

Just kidding. I just finished a cover-to-cover read of the latest Squamish Bouldering... I'm so psyched.

t2climb

Post by t2climb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:09 pm

A very interesting take on Squamish.

One of the biggest mistakes that Squamish has made is having a planning department that seems to be filled with incredibly poor decision makers.

Allowing the movie theaters to be built out along Hwy99 and all of the crappy box stores was both short-sighted and stupid. It made for a downtown that is virtually a dead zone after 6PM. Here they are building condos downtown but people have to drive to shop or dine out.

They blew it and in a sense have created a town that is nothing but a piece meal eyesore.

Hire some planners with a real vision and maybe replace the local gov't with people who are not beholden to developers and Squamish will become what it should have been all along.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Nick,

What have you guys been climbing? The bouldering options are truly staggering aren't they?

Have you seen this video Slice of Squam it's one best takes on squamish bouldering I've seen

BTW what is New Paltz like?
Dave Jones - site admin

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 am

Here's (in my opinion) a better and more amusing first take on Squamish, from Kelly Cordes

http://www.thecleanestline.com/2012/08/ ... amish.html