Loose nuts on Boiler Room.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Spaztic
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Loose nuts on Boiler Room.

Post by Spaztic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:12 pm

The second and fourth nuts are loose on Boiler Room. I didn't have a wrench with me. Anybody?

Speaking of which, what size are the nuts? Imperial or metric?

And why don't people apply a small drop of blue Loctite to stop nuts from coming loose?

scrubber

Re: Loose nuts on Boiler Room.

Post by scrubber » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Spaztic wrote:
And why don't people apply a small drop of blue Loctite to stop nuts from coming loose?
The same reason you don't have a wrench in your pack.

Almost all bolts in squamish are 3/8" this means they will have a 9/16" nut. There are some 1/2 " bolts (3/4" nut), some 10mm bolts (16mm nut), and some 12mm bolts (18mm nut). A cheapo adjustable wrench that goes up to 3/4" will cover all of this perfectly. You could even include a wee bottle of non-permanent blue loctite with your new snug-a-bolt crag-care kit. I have just such a kit. It also contains a couple of hangers and 9/16" nuts. Unfortunately, it gets forgotten at home just about as often as it gets remembered...

K

(Tongue firmly in cheek, no offense intended)

dakine

Re: Loose nuts on Boiler Room.

Post by dakine » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:23 pm

A cheapo adjustable wrench that goes up to 3/4" will cover all of this perfectly. You could even include a wee bottle of non-permanent blue loctite with your new snug-a-bolt crag-care kit. I have just such a kit. It also contains a couple of hangers and 9/16" nuts
Basic sport climbing necessity these days. I have the same kit it lives in my climbing pack.
DJ 1%