Good Restaurants?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Patrix
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Good Restaurants?

Post by Patrix » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:11 am

Hello. I will be visiting Squamish for 4 or 5 days next week and wanted to see what (non-fastfood) restaurants people recommend. I apologize if this has been discussed ad nasueam--search function didn't turn up much.
Thanks! -Steve

scrubber

Re: Good Restaurants?

Post by scrubber » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 am

Howe Sound inn and Brew Pub, The Nest, Zephyr Cafe, Sushi Sen, Essence of India, Wiegan Pier, to name just a few.

K

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am

Have to disagree on the Brew pub, probably has some of the worst service I have ever had to deal with every freakin time I go there. I go about as often as it takes me to forget about the last crappy time I was there.

staven

Post by staven » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 am

Second that for the Brewpub. It's rare that at least one person in a group doesn't have something go wrong with their order.

"Sorry, I know everyone else at your table has already finished eating and had 2 beers, but we're all out of that beer you ordered at the beginning of the night. Do you want something else? What? you didn't get your food either?"

A book about the errors in your order, forgotten orders, wrong food, wrong beer, slow service, etc. would be hilarious. On second thought, it would probably be too long and no one would read it. It's been like that for years now, but wasn't always. Just part of the "ambiance" now.

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am

Third negative review for the Brew Pub ... I am consistently disappointed when I'm dragged there.

The service is often sub-par and the food is questionable, bland and often cool by the time it gets to the table.

The beer is good, though, and I do return to the brew pub if I just want a pint to wrap my sore mitts around.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Point taken. It's been hit or miss for me lately. Maybe because getting out to the pub after having a kid was such a treat, I didn't realize how bad it had become sometimes. Possibly I'm just reminiscing back to the Brew Pub's glory years of the mid to late 90's....

K

quantum7

Post by quantum7 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

The nest

www.thenestrest.com

Really varied menu with great deals on thin crust or gluten free pizza. 2 for 1 appies on tuesday night. Nice patio too.

2nd essence of india

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I've never been there ... thanks for the link. I'll hit that this weekend after a day on the malamute. :)

skidrc
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by skidrc » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:55 pm

2 for 1 pizza on wednesday is the only thing that brings me to the brew pub. Oh, and the cheap take home beers.
Shady tree has large unhealthy portions, but its bang for buck.
Bean in brackendale has some good take away stuff, not super cheap.
Zephyrs has some excellent grub as well.
-Doug

smallman

Post by smallman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm

The Campfire Grill in the Eagle view Campground near Brennan Park has Amazing Southern BBQ food. Try the BBQ chicken or pulled pork. I also recently had Sunday brunch at Fergies at the Paradise Valley - Squamish Valley junction. It was equal to Chef Big D's in terms of deliciousness for breakfast.

Patrix
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Patrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:58 am

Thank you very much everyone! I'm not much for drinking and pubgrub so I'll probably avoid the brewery anyway.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 am

I'm not a local and I'm not much of a Foodie so I held off contributing to this thread. But I enjoy
checking out new places to dine.

I've eaten a few times at Wigan Pier in Garabaldi Highlands because it brings back memories of eating Fish n Chips in England. The fish is great and you get the authentic mushy peas on the side.

And like every healthy climber I've eaten at Zephyrs. The food is really good and the people are friendly.

If I need to fuel up with some good coffee I go Galileo Coffee at the Squamish Adventure Centre. The Canadiano with maple syrup flavour is awesome.

I heard the patio at the Chances is the best place to have a beer and view the Chief. The food is supposed to be pretty good too. Hopefully somebody here can verify my info is correct.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:35 am

hi guys couple of places downtown you missed The Parkside serves great food popular with local climbers ,and Bisla Sweets on 2nd ave sells good east Indian food ,if your on a budget the Samosas rule Hevy

coastal_climber

Post by coastal_climber » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:16 am

Thumbs down for the brewpub as well.

+1 for The Nest

DaleSood
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by DaleSood » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:44 am

I was just telling someone the other day how the Brew Pub was horrible, and has only gotten worse over the years. Amazed they are still in business...

Surprised no one mentioned Kozo sushi on 2nd. AMAZING sushi, and Hiro (owner with his wife Hitomi) is a climber. Cheaper than Sen, and closer to the crag!

Cheers - dks