Cypress Falls Bouldering Topo?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
jstod

Re: Cypress Falls Bouldering Topo?

Post by jstod » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Also, the Cypress Creek crags Knuckle Head, Tombstone Tower, and Cougar, are currently in their best condition for climbing.
Second that. We had a great evening at Cougar Crag last week. MUCH cooler down there and a sweater was nice for the belays. The 10b and 10c on the right are a bit mungy but the climbs get cleaner as you work left. More traffic would be great - the steepness and features of this crag are really cool. I found the 11a to be particularly high quality.

The 10b on the right has me totally flummoxed. If you're supposed to traverse under the roof to the right, then it's pretty mossed over. If you're supposed to pull the roof in the middle, it sure doesn't feel like 10b!

Julian

dakine

Post by dakine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:36 pm

You have to pull the roof Jstod, I agree that it feels harder than 10b as well my buddy and I both thought it was hard. Even with beta I had to crank (I redpoint 12d).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rumble1973 ... otostream/
DJ 1%

jstod

Post by jstod » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Cool - good to know. Great pics of the climb on your Flickr site. Thanks -

Julian

rolfr

Post by rolfr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 pm

The rating on that route is 10D not B

I spent a great afternoon at Knuklehead Crag Last week , nice and dry! 4 routes 5.8-5.11c. These routes are excellent and deserve more traffic. Take a small rack for Cypress Crack 5.9 ,so....o sweet.
You can TR the 5.11's when you rap in, but they are well bolted and safe.( hang a longer draw on the fixed draw of Knucklehead if you are shorter than 5'7".

Access from the top of Evergreen Drive, walk through Cypress Trails park. Follow the main trail to the gravel road, right on road to bridge, trail on right just at far edge of bridge, another 5 minutes to top of crag. total walk 14 minutes . Rap chains behind tree.

Link http://www.mountainproject.com/v/knuckle-head/107288390

Check out Rich Wheaters photo of Cypress Crack on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rich-Whea ... 8389519405

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 am

jipstyle wrote:
Have you ensured that publishing info about this crag doesn't contravene these rules? I imagine that you have, but I just want to make sure that I'll be able to keep climbing in my backyard next year. ;)
Personally, whether it contravenes the rules or not, I think banned areas should go in guides anyway for completeness and a record of what's been done. Obviously you should state there's no access agreement in place, which might actually help resolve any ambiguity regarding the situation. If access is restored, then it's there ready for use.