winter ice

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
embers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

winter ice

Post by embers » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:21 pm

hi

does anyone know of any good ice that is easy to get to climb anywhere around. as i am going to be over for a couple of weeks over new year and afterwards. i have heard there is some up in pemberton but where abouts?

also what about mixed?
any thoughts?

cheers
embers
work bad! climbing good!

IceZazz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by IceZazz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:09 am

embers,

Places for ice (Real ice not that scottish ice (Frozen Mud) :wink: Well on a good year there is lots of roadside ice, some as close as just a mile or two from squamish, but more likely you`ll need to get up higher near whistler, or past to get good ice in a normal year. There is reliable ice within the ski resort at blackcomb and as you get up near lillioot, there are quite a few lines available.

Not so much a question of where, but when. I am available around christmas time, would like to find a partner for some ice climbing around then. Grade 3 or 4 stuff, or will follow on 5.

I will send you some links later.

Cheers - John
"There are only three sports, Motor Racing, Bullfighting and Mountain Climbing. All the rest are games" - Hemmingway

embers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

real ice

Post by embers » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:01 am

i know ot u mean about scotish ice/ compact snow!!

i am climbing about scotish 4 so about the same as you. i am staying in whistler from 29th Dec to 13th Jan to see my girl friend, and climb as well. i will be bringing over most of my winter stuff to play.

i have not realy done much long vertical ice ans not had the chance in scotland! but i am definately up for a good go.

i will look forward to the links.

cheers
embers
work bad! climbing good!

IceZazz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by IceZazz » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:38 pm

Embers - I sent you a private reply. I can come up and show you some stuff in Whistler area. I am looking for a partner about that time. I sent you some links to the ice reports, likely there will be good ice in a couple of weeks when you arrive. I was climbing up there last winter right at christmas and the ice was good. 3 or 4 lines right near the village in whistler, and possible to drive up to Synchronicity falls, which is not far away for some multi pitch stuff that gets no worse than 4 most winters. In the midst of all the bogus trendy ski shops in whistler village there is a backcountry ski/climbing shop that has reliable info on the local routes. They have been real helpfull in the past.

Will keep in touch - or try the email addy i sent out.

Some of the good links are Cascadeclimbers.com - They have a conditions chatroom that is real informational.

There is a westcoastice.com website that has a nice conditions report. I think that one is by Don Serl who is the author of the local guidebook and sort of an ice climbing legend in the area.

Cheers - John Z
"There are only three sports, Motor Racing, Bullfighting and Mountain Climbing. All the rest are games" - Hemmingway

embers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by embers » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:35 pm

hi.

looks great, i wish there was stuff like this in scotland,
oh well, just anothere excuse to go over there.
i will keep an eye on condistions and see what happens.

cheers for the links tho,
embers
work bad! climbing good!

PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:10 am

You should see the ice in the bluffs. Alice on ICe is in. Smears by Pixie's Corner are in. Some ice just South of Octopus's Garden. Shannon Falls coming in well, bottom climbable top looks in, in Goretex :D :D :lol: 8)

tanj
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by tanj » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 am

This may have been the year for new ice I have heard Powell River has ice also. If that is true there must be loads of it. And you can get to higher elevations with logging roads.
Tanj

embers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

no climbing

Post by embers » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:23 pm

hi
i tried snowboarding on a couple of days and while coming down Blackcombe i met the ground with some force on a cat track and separated my shoulder. this was about half way though being over so it sort of screwed up the climbing.

oh well, we shall see what happens next.
while driving down to Van on 12th i noticed shannon falls had started to freeze on the sides. if only i had not knackered my shoulder!! :( :evil: :(

i hope the rest of the season is good for u all.
embers
work bad! climbing good!