Squamishlurker.com

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Lurch

Squamishlurker.com

Post by Lurch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey you guys like this site??

Let's use it!! Traffic is king. If we actually used this site more to bs and such then Dave might be able to attract more advertisers and be able to improve the site more...

Talking about climbing is not illegal.

Mike

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Squamishlurker.com

Post by squamish climber » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am

Mike, you're right there sure are a lot of lurkers out there.

This is a community forum, all voices and opinions are encouraged (as long as we are respectful and keep the language clean). The more contributions, the more interesting to read. So I encourage everyone to post a picture of their day at the crags and a couple of words of what they did, what is was like and any other observstions.

Don't be shy, heck if I posted a picture of my 7 year-olds doll out bouldering with her you can't get much more embarrassing than that.

Mike, Luke, Relic I am really enjoying reading about your climbing adventures. Keep them coming.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks Dave. Truth is i never would have left this site for greener pastures if i got a little more response from people... Talking to yourself isn't much fun as i'm sure you know all too well.

Anyways.. I'm going to squish. Maybe some climbing but i'll probably mostly take photos since my finger is still acting up.

jstod

Post by jstod » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 am

I find this forum to be super useful for route information and other things pertaining to Squamish. Last summer in particular, when there was a serious gluttony of new climbs and retros being put up (like at the Above and Beyond area, Squaw Leftside, Bullethead East, B.K.'s North Joffre Creek line and many more), this was the only place to find information as well as reports from people who were out there climbing them...

Sure things are sleepy here, especially in the winter, but the lack of spray is refreshing and there's still supertopo for times when you want to sit back with your coffee and read some cool stories. The irony of your thread over there Lurch, is that a lot of the squamish legends who make it so interesting likely wouldn't have given a care about contributing on forums (had they existed) back in their day... much like the current class of stars (the Stanhope's, Kruk's, Trotter's, etc) aren't spending their days conversing online either.

Thanks Dave for your work on this site... It IS a valuable resource for climbing in Squamish.

Julian

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:00 am

So instead of contributing here you just sit back and hope people will continue to post topos and maybe Dave can somehow continue to pay the bills?

jstod

Post by jstod » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 am

Nope... been skiing and not climbing much this spring, but if I happen to climb something that could benefit from an increase in exposure I'll likely post. If someone asks a question that I feel I'm well suited to answer, I'll likely respond. If I ever climb Skywalker, I probably won't post.

Anyways - didn't mean to offend at all or start some bicker-fest (why I choose to avoid online chit-chat to begin with)... just wanted to point out that for me squamishclimbing.com does have real value, but it's information not community banter that'll keep me reading and (when appropriate) contributing.

Julian

alpine_dreamer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by alpine_dreamer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 am

Well said, jstod. Nothing like a little reinforcement to remind you why you dodge the forum sh!t slinging. It's worth pointing out that the vast majority of climbers aren't interested in "bs-ing and such" on the internet, whether it results in the improvement of a perfectly good site or not. Lurch, you've lost sight of the fact that you're the anomaly.

You are right though- talking about climbing isn't illegal. It's also not obligatory.

As you were...

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:19 pm

It is difficult to create a sense of community without conversing. That's ok. I'll try and keep my spray limited to a few threads and hopefully some people will enjoy and find them useful. Sorry for disrupting your "Perfectly good site".

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:29 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyone post around here? Mid summer? Peak Season... I know your still coming!!! What's the data say Dave???

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 am

alpine_dreamer wrote:Well said, jstod. Nothing like a little reinforcement to remind you why you dodge the forum sh!t slinging.

I think banter doesn't necessarily have to end up with sh*t slinging. It can just be banter. I too visit this site not just for info, but for distraction, but sometimes there's nothing to distract. I'll make more effort to post in future.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

johnny2vests I would look forward to any of your future posts. It's cool to get a perspective from someone who does not live around here. I would like to hear some your thoughts comparing ethics in the UK and here. You know some of the early Squamish climbers moved here from England. I also wonder if Squamish were located in England, what the ethics and style of climbing would be? And go ahead tell us some of the stories / experiences you've had on the rock since arriving here.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:11 pm

August is the time when the roadtrippers are climbing on the crags and the crag climbers are in the alpine....

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 am

Hey SC, thanks for the welcome. I'm on a 3 year visa, which I'm converting to permanent residence, so I'm afraid your probably stuck with me. I've met quite a few old school Brits since I've been here, and lots in Skaha too, mostly Yorkshire boys & ex Sheffield Mafia, so we usually have friends in common.

My experiences so far have been largely positive. There are some stark differences ethics & style wise, bolted belays are common, half ropes are rare, people are nice to each other :-)

First thing that hit me ethics wise was how top rope friendly the place is, fixed anchors help obviously, but also the sparsity of very easy routes that people can learn to lead on. Lots of people know about death on a stick Grit routes in the UK, but many don't realise that it's also good for well protected low 5th classics. You could spend a whole day at Stanage soloing 100 15-20m 5.4s if you wanted. I miss days like that, and I really miss big sea cliffs (UK climbing's best feature IMO), but I wouldn't swap Stanage for the Chief any day of the week, and I really like the Winter options here, cold Grit bouldering never really grabbed me, and as for skiing in the UK... Lol.