coming to squamish could use some help

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
climbingrook
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

coming to squamish could use some help

Post by climbingrook » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi everyone... nice forum you guys have here. A friend and I are coming to squamish to do some climbing and mountain biking. I would like to ask you guys for some advice on where beginners should go to boulder or a guide that can show us some top roping options. Your help is much appreciated.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: coming to squamish could use some help

Post by squamish climber » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Welcome to Squamish and squamish climbing climbingrook(ie?). There is some info on bouldering spots and top roping suggestions on the forum, try using the search function. For starters I would buy Squamish Bouldering Guide by Marc Burdon. This guidebook is awesome with over 2500 problems featured in a easy to read and navigate format.

There is top-roping in Smoke Bluffs Park and in Murrin Park. When are you visiting? Don't forget the Squamish Mountain Featival July 11-15.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

climbingrook
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by climbingrook » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 am

Thanks for the reply squamish climber... We will be visiting from June 17th through the 25th. The problem I for see is that neither of us have much or any outdoor experience. With that in mind I was hoping that you may be able to provide a guide company or a place to rent gear to do some bouldering. I am currently undecided if we should just boulder or spend the money on a guide and top rope. Any thoughts?

cmoorhead
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by cmoorhead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 am

Hello climbingrook,

Squamish Rock Guides has excellent courses and private instruction options. Prices are fair and the guiding team is excellent. Check out website for more info: http://www.squamishrockguides.com/index.htm

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 am

Climbingrookie,
Hiring a guide and even taking a course at the start of your trip would be be an excellent idea. You will learn the right way to belay and how to set up anchors, as well the guide can show you places to come back to climb on your own. And then if you like it, you can invest in a harness, shoes, rope and anchor gear, or go with bouldering. Valhalla Pure and Climb On in Squamish rent gear (shoes, boulder pads, and possibly harnesses).
As for guiding companies there are a bunch of good ones in Squamish, you should talk to them, tell them what you want and then decide. Colin already mentioned his guiding company
Squamish Rock Guides. He's a solid guy and he has some great guides working for him. There is also Canada West Mountain School
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

climbingrook
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by climbingrook » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 pm

You guys rock.... I will definitely take a look at those sites.

Would anyone want to meet us out and do some bouldering one day? We are also doing some mountain biking. Do you guys know of any nice single track there? Some easier down hill?

I'm coming from Florida and well mountains are hard to come by.

staven

Post by staven » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

There are dozens of great single track mtb trails, check out the Diamond Head and Garibaldi Highlands areas. There is a trail map available at Corsa Cycles or Tanatalus Bike Shop, and you will see many people out on the trails that can recommend something for any level.

In the mean time, check out http://www.squamishmountainbike.com/ for upcoming events, and there is a trail map App for your iPhone with all the hiking and MTB trails in the Squamish area: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/trailmap ... 24366?mt=8

Late June is typically good weather here, hope you have a great time.