The Little Smoke Bluffs

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
gnarnaphobe

Re: The Little Smoke Bluffs

Post by gnarnaphobe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Dru wrote:
gnarnaphobe wrote: I dont know If they've ever been cleaned since they were first ascent in '83..
Yes, they were fully scrubbed around 2003, although you'd never know it now because they grew over again in around 10 minutes.

Are you referring to the cracks right of the roof being scrubbed in '03? If so, WOW. But I find it hard to believe that they would moss over that much faster than the roof cracks, given the fact that the roof area was way more shaded(before we pruned)

Hopefully with the pruning that has already take place along with a bit more will let enough light in the keep the moisture down and reduce the moss over rate... With the help of a bit of traffic

Also, In an attempt to slow the moss growth rate I'm gonna clean 5.0-5.6 low angle rock at the right side of the bluff. Which could also be prime candidates for F.A.'s by little children.

P.s. this thread belongs in the new routes and trail info thread.. mad bad, If possible It should be relocated
Imaging how much funner this could be with booze and explosives

Dru

Post by Dru » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:46 pm

gnarnaphobe wrote:
Dru wrote:
gnarnaphobe wrote: I dont know If they've ever been cleaned since they were first ascent in '83..
Yes, they were fully scrubbed around 2003, although you'd never know it now because they grew over again in around 10 minutes.

Are you referring to the cracks right of the roof being scrubbed in '03? If so, WOW.
Yes. They were fully clean. The rock below the roof stays dry and hence cleaner. The slabby stuff to the right of the roof is damp more often and regrows fast, like the stuff around Digital Dexterity (i.e. clean one year, inches thick moss the next)

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 pm

I see :oops:

AaronRN

Post by AaronRN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am

gnarnaphobe wrote:I see :oops:
Lest we forget, the reason why all of Octopuses Garden isn't a perpetually wet moss carpet was because a few climbers had the good sense to removed the trees from its base. The result was the creation of one of the best and most popular crags in the bluffs. IMO this crag is worthy of a similar amount of attention. If it only took a few years for the crag to moss up again it was only because the job wasn't fully done the last time around. Just don't make the same mistake twice. Time to put down the wire brush and pick up the chain saw.

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:03 pm

And if the chainsaw doesn't work, napalm? Agent Orange?

Not every cliff needs to stay clean. If it doesn't get the traffic to keep it clean it's better off growing moss.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 am

Up thread Jeremy posted he was behind in cleaning an area they are calling the "Kids Zone". I was up there the other day walking around. This will be a great addition for climbing families. Any idea if Jeremy is still working on this or if it's been passed on to someone else? I heard that Jeremy is leaving town for a job. Looks like there's still quite a bit of work to be done.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 am

Also on my walk around the park I saw the work on re-cleaning Respiration Rock. Looks like a nice moderate roof crack. Well done.

Dave Jones - site admin

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 am

Saw this crag for the first time near Octopus Garden in the Shade. Anybody know more about?
Dave Jones - site admin

staven

Post by staven » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm

That is Skunk Hollow. I think the info is in the book at Climb On, but I believe there is one 10c, and the rest are 11s and 12s?

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 am

Yea skunk hollow looks awesome, been there a few times haven't climbed anything yet.

On a sidenot I saw a bear yester mid day just outside the little smoke bluff park on hospital hill. They later in the evenng saw him or her up by octopus'.Just a reminder to everyone that they're starting to wake up for the season.

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Fri May 18, 2012 8:31 am

Lots of action in the bluffs lately! Lots of smiling faces enjoying the sunshine as well!

The upper tier of lumberland, Zephyr Wall, is now complete, thanks to Hevy, Erica and friends. The climbing there is quite interesting, most of the routes start by pulling through stellar roof moves then ease from there. I believe a topo will be out shortly.

I have heard great reviews about Cabin Boys Office, lots of good climbing in a cool location.

Also I've caught wind that a few routes at crag X have had a spring cleaning. Thank you anonymous do-gooder.

In Bouldering news, three new problem were recently clean by the picnic tables located by clean starts. Does anyone know anything about them? I'll snap a picture today! Quality climbing; IMO.

Earlier this week a bus load of keen teenagers flowed through the park tiding up the trails. Thanks alot to every one who was involved in that!

Respiration Rock is nearly finished its "Renewal Process" and will host 15 routes in total, ranging from 5.3-5.13.Image

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri May 18, 2012 9:01 am

Nice Luke, Respiration Rock looks sparkling clean.

I heard those were Trek students working on the trails -- thanks guys and gals for volunteering. It's a great example that climbing resources we use don't come for free, we rely on people giving back to the community. It should make every climber pause and think what they can do and contribute. Start by joining the Squamish Access Society and Climbers Access Society of BC. And then get involved.

I'm keen to check out Lumberland. That was a huge project and many hours Hevy and his friends put in, good job. Hevy, post that topo as soon as you can.

If anybody has details on the re-cleaned routes on Crag X, post them up.
Dave Jones - site admin

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 am

The boulder problems at the kids area where put up a couple of months ago ,by a young french climber and myself . There are 4 problems Vo/v2 with room for a few more harder ones .Topos for the Lumberland Crags will be up shortly .