The Zip is on Private Property

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Zip is on Private Property

Post by squamish climber » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Who knew that one of best 5.10a cracks in Squamish is on private property? I didn’t and I was down there earlier this Spring and walked along the Mamquam Blind Channel Trail. I don’t recall seeing any Private Property or No Trespassing signs. And I’ve never heard access is an issue to the crag until now. But a recent story in the online newspaper, Squamish Reporter:Private Property or Public Trail says the Blind Channel Trail belongs to a holding company owned by city pioneer John Drenka. It’s a little unclear in the article but it appears that most of the Lower Tier climbs like Fatty Bolger are also on private property.

Here's a picture of the Zip

The story quotes John Lowe, manager of JDeez holdings, which is owned by Drenka and he does not sound like he is in a compromising mood:
“We don’t want trails on our property and we are simply not interested in establishing any agreement,” Lowe said.
What seems to have sparked this is that the owners earlier this year became aware that the Blind Channel Trail was marked on District of Squamish Maps as a recreational trail. The owners say the Trail Recreation Map published by Tourism Squamish and Kevin McLane’s Squamish Climbing Strategy, November 2008 depict existing or proposed public trails on their property. What’s more, the owners say the Smoke Bluffs Park kiosk map puts the park boundary around a road right-of-way between two of their properties.

If you were to ask me, it seems kind of suspicious that this issue is coming up now. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the owners are asserting their property rights at the same time there is a new development proposal further down the trail at the Kingswood property and Hospital Hill residents are pressuring Squamish council to come up with a comprehensive plan for the Upper Mamquam Blind Channel.

It seems to me like climbers would do well to keep an eye on this -- what is to become of the Upper Mamquam Blind Channel, the development proposal and access to Smoke Bluffs Park could all become issues in the civic election this November. It might be a good idea to renew your membership in the Squamish Access Society and the CASBC. Post up if anybody has any details or comments on this.

Here is the letter John Lowe sent to council in July.

And here is the map submitted with the letter
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

J Mace

Re: The Zip is on Private Property

Post by J Mace » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:19 am

Yes there are private property signs put up on the trail, I first noticed it this spring.

Hopefully the Zip doesnt go the way of hot cherry bendover

avit

Post by avit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:38 am

Please keep us posted, The Zip is a classic, it would be a shame to lose access.

The letter is stamped with "Agenda: YES", does this mean it's on the table for council? What is to be discussed or resolved?

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 pm

The Council minutes note that council received this correspondence and agreed to send it on to staff to contact the complainant and report back to council. And yes, the Zip is on private land
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb