Shorter Zap Crack (Wonder Wall) Approach

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Peter

Shorter Zap Crack (Wonder Wall) Approach

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Some know about this, some don't. But if you are headed to Zap Crack there is a new approach (easy 20min from car) but you do need a 4x4 car, clearance is not an issue, but steepness is. The directions are as follows:

Drive into Brittania Beach and follow Copper Road and turn onto GOAT RIDGE DRIVE and follow it almost to its end at the top. (This is on the North side of the town where a bunch of new houses and lots are). On the uphill side of the road, there is a gravel road going straight up the hill right past a new house that is being built (this road will become the driveway for this house at some point). Follow the gravel road to it's end (about 1.5k), it ends in a big clearing/gravel pit. Park at it's left corner (northwest) and follow the main trail that starts from there (mountain bike/trials trail). The trail is straight for a bit, then forks, go left and up the hill past the "energizer bunny" sign. Take it to the top of the hill and you see the yellow flaggin with "zap" on it. Follow the flagging right to the wall. Should take about 20 min. There is tonnes of potential on the Wonder Wall.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shorter Zap Crack (Wonder Wall) Approach

Post by squamish climber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Peter,
Thanks for sharing this info. Sounds quite a bit shorter than from Murrin Park car park 60 minutes +/- I've heard people say this is one of the best crack climbs in Squamish. The grade is 5.12d. Anybody have a picture of this climb and others on the wall?

The Squamish Access Society has a great shot of the climb by photographer Rich Wheater

Jason Kruk redpoints Zap Crack, 5.12d. Valley of Shadai, Murrin Park, Squamish, BC, Canada. Photographer: Richard Wheater (http://www.richwheater.com)
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

da534
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by da534 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Does anyone know if the 4x4 road up to the gravel pit is still accessible? I had heard about this approach and was up there today looking for it. I hadn't read this post first but I ended up on an access road along the power lines that eventually lead into the bottom of the Valley. It seemed like more hassle than the classic approach via Murrin. That trail was accessed via the first cul-de-sac on Goat Ridge Dr. I did drive the rest of the way up but didn't notice any obvious 4x4 roads. There was 1 gravel road at the end but I thought it was someone's driveway. I'll go back in the next day or 2 to scope out driveways that might continue up.

Has anyone been up there recently? Also looking for anyone that is keen to work on Zap...

ToddLyons

Post by ToddLyons » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:56 am

When I went there last time, I saw this gravel road.. Is this this road gonna become the driveway for that house? If yes, I guess the owner will have to spend some heavy bucks on pumping concrete all the way up!!