Fixed Ropes on Multipitch Routes?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
solojourneys

Fixed Ropes on Multipitch Routes?

Post by solojourneys » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Climbed Warriors of Wasteland today, beautiful climb with entirely fixed ropes from bottom to top (11.6mm Blue Water Ropes in good condition).

Route is extremely clean up until pitch 5, then a bit licheny, but nothing severe.

Anyone know of other hard, quality multipitch routes with fixed lines like this?

scrubber

Re: Fixed Ropes on Multipitch Routes?

Post by scrubber » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:10 pm

There aren't any locally. Ropes are usually only up when a route is getting created or recleaned. It sounds like after Warriors was cleaned up, it was so much fun to go and take a lap on with a soloist device that the lines just got left up for the season. The more traffic the better for keeping stuff clean. I'd better go try it before the weather turns.

k

relic

Re: Fixed Ropes on Multipitch Routes?

Post by relic » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:16 am

I got on this yesterday. fun stuff. It's a pretty convenient way to get up some pitches fast by yourself. The ropes appear to be in good condition from what I saw up to pitch 4, but do I have questions about them.

1) How long have the ropes been up there? Since the spring? After how long should these ropes be considered too exposed to weather to be safe?
2) With all the bouncing and falling done on them, especially on the hard pitches, at what point should we be wary of using them due to overuse?
3) The area does not appear to be a bowling alley in any way for loose rock, but how much of a concern is there for rogue loose rock damaging the ropes over time?

Does anyone have any concerns or insights on this?