Wasp nest next to Viper in the Grand Wall boulders

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
soupyhands
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Wasp nest next to Viper in the Grand Wall boulders

Post by soupyhands » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 am

Hey Folks, just a public service announcement. I searched for wasps and didn't see this return, so I wanted to let everyone know: There is a wasp nest in the moss on top of the boulder next to Viper (just a bit SE of the Black Dyke Boulder, in case you hadn't been there.) I believe there is a short pinch problem on this boulder as well, which would top out right on the wasp nest (fuuuuuuuuun). If you are looking at Viper, this is the boulder to your immediate right.

I discovered this the painful way, fortunately I am not allergic, or my day wouldn't have been quite as fun. They hit me up for 4 stings, not too painful, kinda felt like a mild electric shock at first. Once I realized what was happening I ran down behind American Gigolo, and they didn't follow me.

slopr

Re: Wasp nest next to Viper in the Grand Wall boulders

Post by slopr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Hey thanks, there's was one by the Black Dyke boulder a few weeks ago too off the trail to your left & behind the small bench when you approach from the old highway bed towards high v0, it is a ground nest. There is one in the ground by rugmunchers @ forgotten wall that has almost as many tickmarks on/near it as rugmunchers itself so as long as it doesn't rain you can't (can) miss it, would suck to get stung while belaying- or climbing!

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:44 pm

There's one under the tree at the top of the last pitch of Banana Peel too. Quite a nasty surprise when you're tied to it and busy belaying...

steven
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by steven » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:09 pm

scrubber wrote:There's one under the tree at the top of the last pitch of Banana Peel too. Quite a nasty surprise when you're tied to it and busy belaying...
A big thank you to whomever taped a "Danger Bees" sign to this tree. Made it very easy to avoid as there are plenty of other non-bee infested trees.

staven

Post by staven » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Watch out for a bees nest at the base of a leaning tree at Hoods in the Woods at Rogues Gallery. It's near American Heavy (11a). I got stung twice while minding my own business 15ft away from it, which in my opinion was completely uncalled for.

avit

Post by avit » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:15 am

Sounds like they are out in force this summer. I got stung too on Saturday, also "uncalled for" as I was walking into the forest at the top of Skywalker.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:12 am

steven wrote:A big thank you to whomever taped a "Danger Bees" sign to this tree. Made it very easy to avoid as there are plenty of other non-bee infested trees.
You're quite welcome.

solojourneys

Post by solojourneys » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:29 pm

There is also a ground nest right at the top of the first corner pitch (the 20meter 10b) on Milk Run. Watch out, they are aggressive. Made me bail quickly today!

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 pm

There were a lot of wasps flying in and out of the hand crack section of Exasperator's second pitch. Figured there was some sort of nest hidden in the back of it. Didn't get stung but it did motivate me to quickly bust it on to the anchors!

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:17 am

There are also a couple of nests near the trail on the hike in to Sully's and another nest near the end of the path at the crag itself.

I recommend against bringing oranges or other sweet fruit ... the smell made me quite popular with the winged nasties. :evil:

Dan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Dan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:53 pm

[nit] they are actually bees not wasps [/nit]

:)

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 am

If they sting, I hate 'em! :P